Thursday, December 28, 2006

Unresolved ...

The past couple years, I've taken to writing down my goals for my next spin round the sun. Tonight, I retrieved the envelope I tucked away last December 31 and opened it. I'd written 13 goals. My favorite number is 13.

How'd I do? Eh. Not so great. Why not? Well, some of it was beyond my control. "Continue my relationship with G" required his participation. "Learn more German" lost its luster when G called things quits. (On the heels of my closet-cleaning extravaganza, I started poking around the files on my computer and discovered my IMs with G. Those are now residing in my trash, as are any other G-related documents. Why keep them? That phase of my life has been over for nearly a year. The writer in me says, "Oooh, but there might be a story in there somewhere." But there's likely not. And if there is, it's in my head already. I have a good memory for details.)

"Achieve my full bonuses and salary for 2006" required the company hitting its financial goals. "Meet Kevin Spacey" would have been easier to achieve if I'd gotten over to London this year, but he's bringing "Moon for the Misbegotten" to Broadway this spring. Maybe I can cross that one off the list for 2007.

Happily, though, I did accomplish No. 7: SING. I vowed to attend more open mic nights, and maybe work with an arranger, neither of which I did. But I did have some recording sessions with Brian. And I was happy with the results, and we'll further refine the tunes in the coming months.

And I wrote more. That's an accomplished goal. I need to write even more, but I'll accept my progress on that front this year.

So I didn't accomplish everything on the list, but then, who ever does? Accomplishing several is accomplishment enough. And it allows me to roll over some goals into the new year.

Being healthier is always a goal and tomorrow I'm going to buy a treadmill. I'm truly excited about it. It will not be an overpriced clothes rack.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

calling two months of dating someone a "phase of your life" is very sad.

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

Wow, that's pretty petty of you, Anon.

Re: Goals, ideally they should be something that you have control over achieving. For example, "lose 10 pounds" is a goal, "hope Ethan loses 10 pounds" is cheerleading. :-)

I went 2-for-12 on my personal goal list. I think the big error was socking the list away for a year. Upon review, there were goals that I would have crossed out and updated on the fly, once they were no longer viable for whatever reason. This year I'm keeping my goal list closer at hand and will update it dynamically.

Another idea (sorry for writing what was going to be my final 2006 entry, but I'm keeping it brief) is a "vision board." Get a piece of poster board or whatever and make a collage of things that you aspire to. Houses, material goods of all kinds, relationships, etc. If nothing else, you'll end up with a snapshot of where your head was at in 2007. ;-)

11:28 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Oh, gee, Anon, I'm sorry. Did I choose the wrong word? Period? Span of time? Which would you prefer?

Ass.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

And by the way, it was more than two months.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Take it easy -- no need to get so defensive. And I stand corrected-- it was, what, about 10 weeks -- the months of internet "dating" don't really count. It is just my opinion that even saving any e-mails for a year from someone you dated for a short "period of time" is kind of sad. The fact that you would write your marriage fantasies where the person you just started dating would read them was even sadder.

If you you are going to write things and put them on the internet for anyone to read, you really should learn to take some criticism. It seems that whenever anyone doesn't stroke your ego with compliments you get very defensive and come across as bitter.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Anon, maybe you should learn to walk away from sites and comments that you don't agree with. And while you're at it, try finding the balls to use your real name if you feel the need to bash what someone else says. Wait, I'll give you a real name. How does "Pussy" sound?

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI - the original intent of the "sad" comment was that it is a "shame" that a short dating stint with someone a year ago was referred to as a "phase of life". That wasn't even meant as a personal attack...The second comment was in response to the defensive reply and this obviously struck a chord with Beth and her mighty defenders.

You don't know me because I don't have a blogger account and chose not to identify myself. To imply that challenging someone or questioning the words of someone who has CHOSEN to write in a PUBLIC forum is rude -- I didn't resort to name-calling -- "ass" "pussy" -- you did.

As for continuing to read this blog on occasion - I liken it to being unable to turn away from a really ugly person on the subway. Admitedly, I find myself drawn to the absurd.

7:33 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

OK, kids, let's all just kiss and make up, shall we?

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

"Admitedly, I find myself drawn to the absurd."

Yo, Anon: Much, much better fare to be found here. Seriously. Don't say I never gave you anything.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Nice, Anon - if that is your real name. You call me out for calling you names and then all but call Beth ugly in the same post. Impressive. OK, fine. I apologize for calling you a pussy. It was totally uncalled for, and it is not how my mother raised me. Now please go f*** yourself. (See, I was polite. Even said "please".)

(By the bye, the other problem with using the anonymous route is that it's easy to confuse with the other Anons who may be very different from the original Anon. There is the "other" option where you can just make something up, thus making for easy clarification when name-calling nabobs like myself get our dander up.)

Verification word: yxevg ("You understand?" in Venusian soul slang)

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home