Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Too Much Information ...

What the hell?

Robert Feder writes a media column for the Chicago Sun-Times. It's filled with the goings-on of the Chicago media scene: What reporter has jumped to what station, what radio personality is doing what to promote his or her show. Industry talk. It might seem like a niche that doesn't matter to a lot of people, but he's been around forever, and I'm sure he's well read.

So what's with this item at the end of today's column?:

"No, it's not your imagination: Tamron Hall, anchor of Channel 32's 'Fox News in the Morning,' is sporting new breast implants."

Did Feder get an official comment from Tamron? Did someone at the station confirm her surgery? Is this just his own expert opinion? But let's ask the biggest question of all: Why is this an item in his column?!

I actually exclaimed "Oh!" when I read it. How unbelieveably inappropriate of him. How did his editor not flag that and say, "Uh, Robert, this isn't really news"?

If Tamron wants to do a sweeps segment about her decision to augment her breasts and it serves some greater good, discussing what women go through to make the decison and undergo the surgery, we can call it "news."

But otherwise, I just find it offensive.

I haven't read every column Feder's ever written, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't point out when a male anchor gets a toupee or has a little cosmetic tweak to his telegenic visage.

I'm no prude, but without any context, "No, it's not your imagination: Tamron Hall, anchor of Channel 32's 'Fox News in the Morning,' is sporting new breast implants" is just inappropriate.

If you'll excuse me, I have a letter to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home