Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Thankfully ...

Tomorrow is almost here.

I read a story today about the pilgrims and indians and a suggestion that maybe the two camps didn't dig each other as much as we've been lead to believe. Maybe Thanksgiving, in its historical context, is a sham.

But even if it is, I still like the idea of a day to reflect on all that we have to be thankful for. Of course, I try to be mindful of such things every day, but it's easy to get caught up in life's petty dramas and lose perspective.

I have an abundance - an embarrassment, really - of things for which to be thankful. I have my health. My familly is healthy. My parents are amazing people. My brother and sister-in-law and my nephews and niece make me happy. I have a lovely home. I have a job that pays most of the bills. I have friends who enrich my life and fill my heart. I have many gifts, most of which I do not honor fully, but I am nonetheless grateful for each one, and know that some day, they will serve me well as I serve them.

Tomorrow morning, I will wake up and begin making bread. Bread is my annual contribution to Thanksgiving dinner, which I find amusing, as the last thing anyone needs on a Thanksgiving plate brimming with mashed potatoes and sweet potatoes and stuffing and other starches is bread. But it's a tradition. And I'm happy to have leftovers for toast the next morning. My bread makes exceptional toast.

And while the bread rises and bakes, I will begin addressing holiday cards. Christmas, after all, is just over a month away. How does it creep up on me every year?

I have to get on the shopping stick. Not that I go shopping the day after Thanksgiving. I think people who do that are insane. And I think the stores that are opening this year at midnight are certifiable. No one should be shopping at 2 a.m. We should all be in tryptophan comas.

But I'm thankful that I have friends and family for which to buy gifts. And I'm thankful that I have a job that will allow me to pay for them.

There is drama in every family, to be sure, but that's to be expected. We're all different. We all have opinions and views and past experiences that color our present. But my family navigates those circumstances as well as can be expected. Tomorrow, I'm confident, will be relatively free of strife. There will be an underlying current of unrest, which is to be expected when part of the family is voluntarily absent. But we'll carry on.

Because there's so much to focus on, so much to be thankful for.

And I'm also thankful for all of you. I'm touched that so many people stop by every day to see what I have to say. I write this blog for myself, really. It's like my version of Doogie Howser's computer diary. Last night, I looked at my archives and realized there are 21 months. I picked January 2006, the 11th month, smack dab in the center of it all, and read that month's entries. I wrote about G. I wrote about interesting dreams. I wrote about many things. And they all came back to me, the memories of that month. It's been a memorable year. I hope to be thankful for many more.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Robert Gable said...

And we random readers appreciate what you have to say.

1:12 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, hello, Robert Gable. I don't believe I've seen you 'round these parts before. Interesting site you have there.

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home