Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Home For The Holidays ...

I just ironed pillowcases.

Today is one of those days when I just can't stop, because my nest is best.

I really love my house. And I love little touches like a well-made bed. And I love decorating.

And I love decorating for the holidays. I'm rather restrained when it comes to decking my halls, but that's mostly a function of not owning a lot of decorations. But this year, I rummaged through all the boxes and even hauled out my cute lil' fake tree, the tree that I set up in my apartments, the tree that my parents used to display in their basements. I set it up in my dining area. Terribly cute. I love the glow of a Christmas tree, and I love soft lighting while dining, so I look forward to dining in the glow of a tree.

The tree in my living room is fake, too. In years past, I cut down trees, but last year, finding time to travel to my favorite tree farm with my mom was pretty much impossible. So one night, frazzled by the fact that Christmas was looming and we were treeless, mom and I went on a artificial-tree trek. And we found very cute trees. I love a real tree, but I have to say, it was pretty nifty to decide that it was time to put up the tree, and have a tree in my living room 20 minutes later.

But what to do with the Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer figures my brother and sister-in-law gave to me a few years ago? And what to do with my grandmother's ceramic Christmas tree? In a moment that can only be described as pure genius, I decided to combine the two, because, of course, the Abominable Snowman puts the star on Santa's Christmas tree.

A couple of my snowpeople are getting cozy in the corner of my TV room. My stuffed snowpeople are getting more action than I am. Nice.

I have metal luminarias for the front of the house, and a serious stash of votive candles to light them.

But I've been bitten by the decorating bug this year. There are many surfaces in my house just crying out for adornment. Tomorrow, I shall procure more festivity.

1 Comments:

Blogger cybercasey said...

Your post truly brings out your holiday mood..this is so nice...and now that the holidays are upon us we all better start preparing for it....all the decorations and of course who can forget all the delicious food...and hey also drop by my Holiday Blog sometime and enjoy some of the holiday fun and cheer....have a wonderful time during the holidays!!!

1:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home