Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Mark Foley ...

Oh, for the love of God.

So, today, Mr. "I Take Full Responsibility for My Despicable Actions," who is also Mr. "Oh, Look at That, I Seem to be an Alcoholic," who is also Mr. "Oh, Did I Mention I Was Gay?" (to which I said, loudly, to my computer screen: "DUH!") played the "I Was Molested by a Clergyman When I Was a Teen" card.

Nice.

So he takes full responsibility, but he feels the need to offer up all these excuses anyway?

Raise your hand if you feel sorry for Foley. Yeah, I didn't think so. Because here's the funny thing about circumstances: You can rise above them. Or, at the very least, you don't have to succumb to the same crappy behavior. Just because someone punches you in the face doesn't justify your slugging the next person who comes along. Just because some priest allegedly touched you inappropriately doesn't justify your propositioning (or worse) young boys when you ascend to a position of power.

I wasn't going to write about this whole debacle because I thought there was nothing to say. This is one of those situations that is so thoroughly screwed up, that is so blatantly, infuriatingly wrong, that we can just let Foley and his cronies dig their own political graves.

But Foley just can't seem to shut up. He's trying to play the victim card: I'll say I take responsibility, but I really don't.

Screw that. Everything is a choice. And we learn "right" from "wrong" at an early age. Yes, there are many things in the world that we'd like to do, but we don't do them because we know they're wrong, because no action exists in a vacuum, because we won't just live to regret our decision but we'll also hurt someone else in the process.

On a comment board on ABC's web site, someone, obviously pissed about all the attention this story is getting, brought up Bill Clinton and his 19-year-old intern, wondering why there wasn't more outrage over that story.

Well, sir, first of all, the president was impeached for what he did. How's that for a repercussion? And she was an intern, not a page, and, oh, by the way, she was past the age of consent. She was legal. You only have to be 18 in this country to decide if you want to blow the President, legally. You only have to be 21 to gamble and drink.

Now, it's no secret that I'm a GOP cynic. I fully expect gas prices to go up right after November 7. I'm quite sure that the GOPers called their Big Oil pals and said, "Geez, guys, you gotta cut us a break. We're really screwed, here. Maybe if the price of gas goes down, people might vote for us." And I'm quite sure that Dennis Hastert and Co. knew about the Foley situation months ago and decided to try to keep things quiet until after the mid-term election.

This one time, on vacation, someone broke into my hotel room and stole some of my stuff. Hmm. Maybe I should go steal the new Springsteen CD that came out today. But I won't. Because stealing's illegal. And because even if I went through with it, I'd feel guilty later.

But you know what would make me feel even guiltier? If I helped draft the legislation that made stealing a crime and then I went ahead and stole things anyway.

That's the cherry on the Mark Foley sundae, eh? The man was charged with protecting children from exploitation, and now the FBI is investigating him for crimes against minors.

Asshole.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, Monica Lewinsky was nearly four months past her 22nd birthday when she first had relations with former President Clinton. The media constantly get her age wrong, usually describing her as a 21-year old intern, but with the Foley scandal, pundits have begun lowering her age even further. You know, a good story like this just gets better with (less) age.

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not only was Monica well past the age of consent, her own comments seem to indicate she had set her cap for landing the president. Not exactly an innocent victim.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home