Monday, October 16, 2006

Know Your Blogger ...

The other day, my friend Cheryl sent me one of those get-to-know-your-friends e-mails, the kind that you're supposed to copy into a new e-mail and send back to the sender as well as send to a new crop of people who will fill in their answers and the world will be a millionth of a degree warmer and fuzzier because we know each other a little bit better.

Cheryl tagged me as the person least likely to respond. Well! Turns out, I had already decided to fill out this go-'round of questions before I got to her pessimism. But I thought this would be a fine medium in which to share my answers, to share a bit of what makes Beth Beth with my lovely readers, in case you've ever read my profile and thought, "But I want to know MORE!" Not that any of you have. But I like some of my answers, and it's my blog, so here you have it:

1. FIRST NAME
Everyone calls me Beth. Except for English Teacher Dave, who sometimes calls me Betty Ku.

2. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
Nope. If my parents had girls when they had my brothers, my mom wanted to name one of them Karen, but my dad didn't like the name. By the time I came around, my dad agreed to Karen but mom didn't like it anymore. She was going to name me Ellen, but thought, "No one's just named Ellen" (except for people named Ellen, apparently), so she tacked Beth on the front of it. I don't have a middle name.

3. WHEN DID YOU LAST CRY?
Two days ago.

What happened to 4? Or is that a trick question?

5. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT?
I'm a vegetarian now. I like hummus with veggies.

6. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
Nope, but hope to, someday. Give birth to one, if I'm able, and adopt one.

7. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
For sure!

8. DO YOU HAVE A JOURNAL?
Not on paper. I think of my blog as my journal these days. It's pretty personal.

9. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
Sarcasm is one of my food groups.

10. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
Yup, and I've always been pissed that I was deprived of my extra allotment of Jell-O and ice cream.

11. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
I would *want* to bungee jump, but I'd stand on the edge of the bridge or whatever, debating for hours, and eventually the bungee-jump people would take off my harness and pack up and go home.

12. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Depends on the shoes. I never tie or untie my "white-girl shoes" (white canvas sneakers, so dubbed by English Teacher Dave because, as he says, "Do you ever see black girls wearing them?") cuz they slip on and off pretty easily.

13. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Emotionally or physically? I can be stronger for other people than I can be for myself. Physically, I'm pretty average.

14. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM FLAVOR?
Vanilla, though I've decided I like ice cream with "stuff" in it, so I need to mix stuff in.

15. SHOE SIZE?
12

16. RED OR PINK?
Really? Those are my choices? Um, pink, I guess. But I'm not particularly happy about it. Though I bought a pink-ish shirt to wear for the breast-cancer walk. But it's not cloying baby pink.

17. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
My lack of willpower and my inability to confront people.

18. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
Someone who's not gone, but who I can't always see.

19. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU?
Well, duh.

20. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES YOU ARE WEARING?
Grey yoga pants and magenta slippers. Hey, I work from home. And it's 8:15 in the morning.

21. WHAT IS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
A black cherry-almond CLIF bar and a bottle of water.

22. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
"Speed of Sound" by Coldplay, part of a CD I've made.

24. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOR WOULD YOU BE?
I always liked the blue-green crayon, or the green-blue crayon. I forget which. But these days, it would be some mossy shade of green.

25. FAVORITE SMELL?
The smell of fireplaces burning when you walk outside on a fall evening. Or burned sugar. Burning things, apparently!

26. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED WITH ON THE PHONE?
L.A. Dave

27. THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE YOU MEET?
Their eyes.

28. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU?
Yup! Miss her, too!

29. FAVORITE DRINK?
Like alcohol? Or any liquid beverage? Alcohol: Vodka rocks or scotch neat. Any beverage? I drink water like a camel.

30. FAVORITE SPORT?
To watch or participate in? Really, people, Editor Beth needs some specificity here!

32. EYE COLOR?
Sage green

33. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
Yup, but I have my overpriced Armani glasses on at the moment. The guy at LensCrafters was a good salesman. He talked me into them.

34. FAVORITE FOOD?
Mom's lasagne, always.

35. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDING?
Happy endings, but interesting happy endings, not happy endings I can see coming in the first two minutes.

36. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
Hmm. I watched a few minutes of "Munich" last night. But the last full movie I watched was "Thank You for Smoking."

37. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
Sage green sweatshirt. It's flippin' cold outside!

38. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Fall. Fall, fall, fall. But since that's not a choice: Winter.

39. HUGS OR KISSES?
Hugs from some people, kisses from others.

40. FAVORITE DESSERT?
Panna cotta

41. WHO IS MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND THE QUICKEST?
L.A. Dave (Note: I was totally wrong about this. Mike replied first, and L.A. Dave didn't respond at all.)

42. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND?
Hmm. Not sure about that. Haven't entirely decided who to send this to yet.

43. WHAT BOOKS ARE YOU READING?
"The Emperor's Children" and "The Happiness Hypothesis." I just finished "The Corrections." Good God, what self-congratulatory bloat.

44. WHAT'S ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
Um, a trumpet. It's from the Publicity Club of Chicago and it gives out Golden Trumpet awards. It's pretty dirty and disgusting. I think it's time to buy a new mouse pad.

45. FAVORITE SOUNDS?
Children laughing; I know it's as sappy as a bad Hallmark, but it's true.

47. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES?
Ooh, the Beatles.

48. THE FURTHEST YOU'VE BEEN FROM HOME?
London


49. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
I bake the best brownies on the planet.

50. WHEN AND WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
November 13, Chicago IL

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened to Pat? Where is he?

4:16 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

I just want to say for the record that I never got this e-mail from Beth with this survey, which sometimes happens even in this advanced technological age in which we expect everything involving electronics or communication to work without a hitch 24/7. (As another indication of the efficiency of this enlightened age, I have now been completely devoid of phone service since 4 p.m. yesterday afternoon.) The gist is that I didn't have anything from Beth to ignore. Though it's up in the air whether I would have finished the survey anyway because I sometimes find stuff like this annoying, if only because I often run out of interesting things to say about myself.

Just didn't want to come across as a deadbeat. Even though I might have been anyway.

Verification word: inzbgi (the North Korean method of preparing a nuclear device for detonation with one hand tied behind the back)

11:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home