Thursday, October 12, 2006

Fidelity ...

"Grey's Anatomy" and "Six Degrees" are on tonight's television menu, and the evening's special is hotdish.

I know about hotdish because I used to have friends who lived in Minnesota, which is apparently the hotdish epicenter of the universe.

On "Grey's," Meredith is trying to choose between Fin and McDreamy, Addison is grappling with what she did to McDreamy when she hooked up with McSteamy. On "Six Degrees," Whitney is about to get married to Roy, but Roy is getting busy with Eliza and coming on to Laura at the engagement party.

Roy. Nice guy, Roy.

I dated a guy named Roy once. And I mean once. One date. It was a good date. Actually, it was a great date. In my history of dating, brief as it may be, my date with Roy ranks very high. I'm trying to think of a date that was better, and none are coming to mind. That's how good it was. And dates like that are hard to come by.

There was a lot of build up to it, hours on the phone, night after night. Charming e-mails. Roy told me that the first thing he was going to do when he finally saw me was kiss me. And he did. And when I hugged him, all I could think was, "My God, he feels good." We just fit together.

We met in a hotel bar. He was in town on business. He left me to take his luggage to his room. I returned to my Perrier and lime. And then a guy came over. He started chatting me up - Where should he go for a good steak? Where might he catch some jazz? I was trying to be polite yet disinterested. No, not disinterested. Just not encouraging. He was wearing a sweatshirt. It's hard to take a guy trying to pick you up in a swanky hotel bar seriously when he's wearing a sweatshirt. I caught Roy out of the corner of my eye, coming toward us. Sweatshirt kept chatting. I knew what was coming. Roy walked up - did I tell you Roy's 6'9"? - and stood beside me. "Oh, hey man!" said Sweatshirt, hopping off his stool and shaking his hand.

Roy shook his hand, turned and planted a kiss on me.

"I leave you alone for two minutes," Roy said, shaking his head and smiling.

We went to a French country restaurant and had the most amazing dinner. I'm not prone to public displays of affection, but shortly after we sat down, Roy asked if he could sit next to me, and that was all he wrote. The kissing, the holding hands, the gazing into each other's eyes. I didn't care who was watching. I was heady with the wine and the electricity.

It was the best date of my life.

And I never saw him again. I won't go into the details, but I knew things couldn't work between us because I couldn't say his name. My mouth just doesn't want to form that sound. I mean, I can say it, but I think it sounds funny when I do. Beyond my linguistic challenge, however, I knew things wouldn't work because, after the great date, suffice it to say, Roy behaved, in a word, like a dick.

So maybe it's something about the name, because on "Six Degrees," Roy is a son of a bitch. Whitney just kneed him and threw her engagement ring at him as he writhed on the floor.

GO, Whitney!

But I don't watch "Six Degrees" for Roy. Oh, no. I watched a few minutes of the premiere and I wasn't drawn in, but then Dave mentioned that he really likes the show, and Dave has very good taste in television, so I decided to give it another try.

Roy, Schmoy. Gimme Steven. Campbell Scott with salt-and-pepper hair. Holy mother of God. Holy. Mother. Of. God. And this isn't even a great picture of him. There are just way too many good-looking men on television this season. Hugh Laurie on "House," Josh Holloway on "Lost," Campbell Scott on "Six Degrees," Eric Dane on "Grey's Anatomy," oh, hell, let's give Isaiah Washington and Patrick Dempsey a nod, too. And the list goes on ...

Clearly, a girl needs TiVo.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Doreen said...

I hear you on what conmes out of your mouth .... Roy is a bit too close to OY. How's this for an orgasmic vocal challenge .... Everett????

9:25 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

AHA!!Oh, finally. I just had an 'aha' moment. I watched six degrees for the first time last night, and loved it. Especially, Stephen/Campbell. I *knew* that man was in a movie before that I had loved, and loved him in, and it just came to me - Dying Young, with Julia Roberts. I haven't seen him in anything since that, and I am surprisingly happy to watch him again.

11:45 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Yup, he was in that chucklefest "Dying Young." I confess that I liked it, too, despite the near-overdose of schmaltz it provides.

I couldn't be happier that he's back in front of a camera. Hubba!

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home