Tuesday, October 17, 2006

B.A.P.E.: Where Oh Where Edition ...

Anonymous posted a comment, inquiring as to the whereabouts of Pat. Anonymous might be one of my friendly commenters, wondering in good faith, or Anonymous might be one of my snarky commenters, waiting to pounce. It's hard to know with Anonymous.

But if I'm out here in cyberspace, sharing my goings-on, most everything is fair game, and I introduced Pat into the storyline here, so a Pat update is a reasonable request, no matter the motive.

And the answer is that I don't know. I mean, I think I know. After our Lear experience, we chatted on the phone a few times, though I noted that our conversations had dramatically decreased in volume. I mentioned that to him one night, and he said, "I know. I'm not talking about my problems, and that cuts our conversations down from three hours to about 10 minutes." He ended that phone call saying, "We should do something next week." To which I said, "OK."

And then I didn't hear from him. For more than two weeks.

One night, he popped up in my e-mail box. It was brief, and self-deprecating. He seemed to be bracing for a berating.

I didn't bitch. Why should I? We had two dates. He doesn't owe me anything. I said as much. But he felt he owed me an explanation, which he offered, and which I accepted. He asked if I wanted to do something this week. I mentioned that I'm heading out of town on Thursday, as if to indicate that anything we did would have to be Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

And I haven't heard from him since.

So, I guess it's safe to say that the Pat situation is nowhere. I didn't think it was going somewhere special. Pat is considerably older than me, he has several children, and he doesn't want more. But we thought we could be friends, hang out.

He still reads this blog, as far as I know, and this might be a weird way to convey information to him, but if he's not going to call, I'll say it here: I get the sense that Pat has spent his life expecting people to be disappointed in him, or expecting to be disappointed by others. And I'm sorry for that. I have no intention of being one of them. But the ball is in his court, and he doesn't seem like he's willing to play.

So, that's the state of B.A.P.E.

This, I suspect, will be the last entry on the subject.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

As a man who has known Beth for several years and can attest to her virtues as a woman and a human being - and at the risk of embarrassing her - I can state unequivocally that any guy who willingly passes up the chance to hang out with her on a regular basis, platonically, romantically or otherwise, is officially a moron. So there.

Verification word: amekbu (a very clumsy relative of the caribou that can help but walk in circles)

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a good faith inquiry. Thanks.

4:03 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home