Friday, September 29, 2006

Television News Question ...

For any of my TV pals who might be reading:

I was just watching a segment on "World News with Charles Gibson" where I saw the ubiquitous b-roll shot of a person walking. What's up with that? Why do producers think that they need that coverage? It's not part of a shot, with the subject walking into the frame and sitting down for an interview. It's just b-roll of them walking to supply video for the voiceover. But why? Why walking? What's it supposed to convey? And if it's not meant to convey anything, why not find another shot?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

TV always needs to be moving (when the pictures stop moving that's called "hitting a freeze." B-roll of a person walking is always better than some kind of static shot. We'd prefer to see the president striding off his helicopter than sitting, awkwardly, with a head of state ... even if the b-roll doesn't always match the topic. B-roll is considered generic.

3:50 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

I had to do that B-roll walking stuff for my "Geraldo at Large" segment. Funny thing is, that's pretty much all of what they used of me, my half-hour interview having been reduced to basically one sound bite. But my walking was fabulous!

Verification word: qflmxdlc

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home