Friday, September 15, 2006

B.A.P.E.: First Date Edition ...

We had a plan.

Well, we had the beginnings of a plan. Pat was, I dare say, fretting a bit about what the first date should be. I suggested a restaurant. He hasn't been in Chicago for very long, so I can cut him some date-planning slack.

Then the walk really took things out of me this weekend, and he offered to come to me instead of me heading downtown. Aw. Points for Pat.

So it seemed only fair that I should make dinner. I like to throw little dinner parties. It sates the would-be chef in me. I wasn't quite in a menu-planning mindset yesterday, what with wondering if my basement was going to flood, but I pulled together some ideas today.

For John's benefit (because he likes it when I write about food), we started with a platter of noshables: my garlic olives, some Irish cheese, assorted "biscuits for cheese" (they're from England, where they have funny words for things), toasted walnuts, the most perfect pear, and, as Pat declared, the best grapes he'd ever eaten: They were big and red and just the right texture. Not too hard, not too soft.

The entree was linguini with white clam sauce, an old standby. I'd prepped all the components beforehand (ah, I love a mise en place) so the sauce was ready just after the pasta'd finished cooking. Lots of freshly grated Parmesan. Perrier and lime to drink. The salad was simple, but not simple enough for Pat: turns out, he doesn't eat anything in the cucumber family. He lined up his small cucumber slices along the side of his salad plate. I ate 'em.

Dessert, to be cute, was oatmeal raisin cookies. They're his favorite, and if I haven't mentioned, mine are fan-frickin'-tastic. And decaf coffee. Because it was late. And because I drink decaf coffee.

We had a good time. He makes me laugh. He was suitably impressed with my culinary skills. He seems taller than he says he is. He's terribly handsome.

King Lear, next week.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

Oh well-a well-a well-a,

Tell me more, tell me more...

11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home