Thursday, August 17, 2006

The Story Of O Brother, Where Art Thou? ...

I recently watched "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" (yeah, it took me six years to get around to it) and "The Story of O" (I was six when it was released).

George Clooney is reason enough to see any movie, our generation's Cary Grant, as I've said before. And leave it to the Coen brothers to say, "Hey, let's write a movie based on Homer's 'Odyssey.' But you know what would make it better? Hair pomade." It's a shame that George didn't do his own tunes, though. I'd like to know what he sounds like as a singer.

"The Story of O," though. Whoa. As a movie, well, it's a '70s flick with all the production values you'd come to expect from an X-rated film from the '70s. But I was watching it because it came up in a conversation about submission. There's a blog I check from time to time, written by a submissive with an occasional entry from her dom.

I'm fascinated by it, not for the lurid details of their sex life, but because the wiring of my brain can't process why a woman would allow herself to be treated in such a way. It's not even that she allows the behavior, it's that she asks for it. I'm not saying that it's wrong; everyone lives their own life and makes their own choices, but I can't help but be fascinated by what makes these women tick. The blog I read is very focused, so I don't have any understanding of her life outside of the relationship. Is she a manager at work? Does she lead outside the home and so desires to be led at home? Is it about balance?

Or is it about self-esteem? Does she feel unworthy of love unless she is required to do her lover's bidding? Or is it about fear? Is she afraid of responsibility and wants someone else to take the reins?

Really. I'm asking. What's the allure of such a relationship? I'm interested in the male perspective, too. Aside from the obvious sexual reasons, what do the men in these relationships gets out of them? An ego boost?

Everything I know about relationships is that they're supposed to be essentially equal, each person's strengths complementing the other's. Never in my upbringing was I taught that a good relationship involves a collar and a leash.

Yes, that sounds judgmental, but I'm really just trying to understand another facet of human behavior.

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I would recommend to you "Secretary" with Maggie Gyllenhaal and James Spader, if you haven't already seen it. It deals with some of the themes of "Story of O" in a more up-to-date fashion. As far as George Clooney - well, hell, you don't need any help with that. :)

Verification word: dpcvmi

8:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everything I know about relationships is that they're supposed to be essentially equal, each person's strengths complementing the other's. Never in my upbringing was I taught that a good relationship involves a collar and a leash.

That's why you're alone. No relationship is equal. As to the collar and leash. At least those are physical, there are other types of restraining devices. Guilt, shame, and honor.

verification word: looser

10:11 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

I think the insult you were going for there was "loser."

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home