Monday, August 28, 2006

It's Been Curbed ...

Part of me feels like an anthropological failure, but I'm throwing in the towel. I cannot bear to watch another episode of "Curb Your Enthusiasm."

I've posited in the past that perhaps my problem stems from watching it on DVD, one right after another. Maybe the show is more palatable as a weekly item on the television menu, but for the love of God, the samey-sameness of it all is killing me.

I mean, sure: Every show has a theme. I get that. "Friends" was about six pals in New York City, but within that framework there was interplay. One week, we were focused on Joey making a fool out of himself in a laughably bad play. The next week, we were focused on Phoebe singing off-color kiddie tunes. The same, but different.

But with "Curb," every week, every single week, Larry does something socially stunted, Cheryl shakes her head and rolls her eyes, Jeff props him up, life goes on. Until the next time Larry does something socially stunted, Cheryl shakes her head and rolls her eyes, Jeff props him up, and Richard Lewis acts manic. Or Wanda Sykes gets in his face. Or Susie has a fit. Blah, blah, blah.

I was so enthralled when I first started watching the show. Genius!, I cried to my television. The man's a genius! Finallly, I felt like I was in on the "it" conversation happening all around me. But watching made me weary. Episode after episode, Larry, Larry, Larry. And all I can think now is, "Why does Cheryl stay with this putz?"

Is it the money? Is he that good in bed?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's the money. Larry NEEDS Jerry.

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home