Monday, August 14, 2006

'Hell's Kitchen' ...

I don't watch reality TV. An episode of "Survivor" has never traveled through my retinas to my brain. I've seen one episode of "American Idol," but I was at Doreen's, and she and Ron were watching. I was eating Thai food. I don't know why, but I don't like it when people sing on TV. I find it embarrassing, even if they're good. Maybe it's just my fear of performing.

But flipping channels tonight, I was sucked in by what turned out to be the season finale of "Hell's Kitchen," Gordon Ramsay's make-a-star-chef screechfest. He yells at every contestant. He rips on their techniques.

I love him!

Tonight's episode summed up the entire season and boiled down to two finalists, both women, thank you very much. Heather is a much better leader, but Virginia has an impeccable palate, both key attributes for an executive chef.

The show got my heart racing and my blood boiling. The staff who had been eliminated over the course of the show returned to be the kitchen brigades. Heather and Virginia chose their sides. It was like picking teams for dodgeball in grade school. Virginia decided to pick Tom and Keith, two of the guys who had proven to be impediments earlier in the series, thinking that if she could win with underachievers, that would reflect well on her.

Good strategy, except for one simple fact: TOM IS AN ASS. This was the man who was ousted, in part, for SWEATING IN THE FOOD. Yeah, kitchens are hot. But ewww. But on Virginia's watch, Tom got his undies in a bunch because he didn't like taking orders from a woman. "It's like listening to my ex-girlfriend," he whined. He had a girlfriend once?

Then again, Keith extorted money out of her in return for his assistance. If she won, he wanted a thousand dollars.

Nice.

Dick.

I won't tell you who won, in case you've TiVoed it, but the winner was given a restaurant in Las Vegas. Not too shabby.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

I think the winner (who I will not mention, either) totally deserved the win. I've watched the whole season, and most of last season, and I'll watch it again if it comes back. Gordon Ramsay is MEAN. That's good entertainment!

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home