Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Wondering Why ...

Talking with mom earlier today, I told her, "I need to cheer the hell up."

"What's wrong?" she asked.

I started to tell her, but it was too big to explain. Because it's not just one thing. It's not like I could just take a day off and eat some mac and cheese and everything would be better in the morning.

I know that problems often seem insurmountable. I know that I just have to take a deep breath (or, well, a lot of deep breaths) and break everything down into steps. The only way to get from one place to another is one step at a time.

So if I'm in a metaphorical "dark" place and I want to get to the "light," I have to turn toward the light and start walking.

It may sound simplistic, but I like to think of it as simple.

Some stay in the dark place and root there. But I'd prefer to thrive in the light.

Mom bought a plant for me this spring that I put in front of my house that does not receive much sun throughout the day. The plant started to yellow and drop leaves. I thought perhaps I was overwatering it, but it was really lacking sunlight.

I moved the plant to my sunny backyard, and today it's more gorgeous than ever.

Why do so many people stay in the dark? Are they afraid of the light? Are they afraid of the journey? Are they afraid of failing? Are they unsure where to go? Maybe some people stay stuck because they're not sure what path to follow.

But the journey we're on is always the right one. There are no wrong steps. There truly are no detours. Every path takes us past things we need to see and learn.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm no expert, but from reading your blog I think you overthink everything and wish you were doing things you're not or wishing (or imagining) you WERE a different person. Instead of thinking about it and writing about it and wishing it were all true, take a risk and MAKE some of it come true. THAT will bring light to your life.

6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home