Friday, July 07, 2006

'The Matador' ...

And here we have, I believe, yet another case of a movie with the wrong title. Mind you, I don't have a better idea, but "The Matador" just doesn't say much about the film without further, lengthy explanation. And so from the perspective of a couple of pals trying to decide on which movie to see, throwing out "The Matador" for consideration would fall flat, because you'd also have to tack on, "You know, that Pierce Brosnan movie? He's a hitman? There's that scene in the trailer where he's walking through a hotel lobby in his underwear?" And even then, you're not left with much.

But I'd heard nothing but good things about this film, so I put it at the top of my Netflix queue with a bullet (hitman, bullet, heh heh) and it arrived yesterday. Today, I watched it. Then I watched it again with the commentary featuring Brosnan and Greg Kinnear and the director (and writer) Richard Shepard. Then I watched the "making of" featurette. Then I watched all the deleted and extended scenes.

So I guess you could say I liked it.

I never devote that much time to a DVD. Especially not a rental. Especially not all in one sitting. But this movie really is something special. The acting is fabulous. I'll echo every sentiment I've heard that this is Pierce Brosnan's finest performance. The cinematography's very cool. The locations are amazing (for the fact that they're all in one location). But the most charming thing about this movie is the movie. The script. The words on the page. Shepard didn't think this movie would ever get made. He sent it to Brosnan's production company in search of a writing gig, and lo and behold, people loved the script. And Shepard, who'd only directed small movies with miniscule budgets, was awarded $12 million to make this movie, which contains dialogue like "Margaritas and cock."

There are, of course, actual matadors in the movie. And their pants are very, very tight.

1 Comments:

Blogger Malnurtured Snay said...

You were liking the tight Matador pants weren't you?

This was a great film! I haven't listened to the commentary track, but I hope to soon.

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home