Monday, July 31, 2006

High Notes ...

♪ Kelley, work pal, blog muse, gets a two-fer mention this time around. Big, big points for her for turning me on to Damien Rice's album O. Wow. It's an instant favorite. I didn't have to sample more than a couple tracks on iTunes before buying the whole thing. As I IMEd to her that day, "Damn you and your fine music recommendation!" With DSL and a credit card on file, it's way too easy to buy way too much music. But I don't have any other vices, so what the hell, right? And as if that weren't enough of a contribution to my musical life in the past week, today she turned me onto Pandora.com.

♪ Tomorrow, I'm doing a photo shoot to accompany a story I'm writing about holiday cookies (gotta love that publishing lead time!) which means that I spent most of today baking. Baking. In July. On the hottest day of the year to date. I think I could have just put trays of cookies out on my deck instead of turning on my oven. Christmas in July. I thought it would be hard to get in the cookie-baking spirit (I was ready to turn on Christmas CDs), but not only did I bake five varieties (and variations on three of those), I have never been more in the baking zone than I was today. Ideas were coming to me as I was baking that, frankly, are nothing short of brilliant. Yep, the cookie bakery needs to be the next act in the play that is my life. I have some rich friends. They love my cookies. Time to hit 'em up for some VC.

♪ Pausing during the cookie-baking extravaganza earlier, leaning over the sink, I ate the most perfect nectarine of my life. Summer in my hand. Add that to the short list of things I like about this oven of a season.

♪ Brian, my lovely recording-engineer pal, wrote last night to say that we're on for next week to lay down more tunes. And I have more tunes to lay down.

♪ Ethan recommended "Shaolin Soccer" to me after discovering our mutual World Cup fascination. When he recommended it, he had just seen it and was still wiping the tears away from laughing so hard. So, to the top of my Netflix queue it went. It arrived. I watched it. I was baffled. Was it supposed to be funny?

During an IM convo with Eth this morning, somehow the subject of my 3-month picture came up. Specifically, the sight gag that was my hair at that tender age. Here then, for your very much baby-picture enjoyment, is me sporting the hairstyle that prompted the photographer to ask my mom, "Lady, are you sure you want her hair like that?" And that lump you see behind me is my mom's carpet-covered arm, holding me up.

And finally, because it amuses me, even all these years later, I share with you my stuffed alien from "Toy Story." When you squeeze his tummy, he speaks. "The claw is my master." "I have been chosen!" "Oooooooooh!" And his head lights up. He was a birthday gift from my toy-designer brother one year. His wife thought he was nuts. And then, when I was so happy to receive it, she probably thought I was nuts. "Oooooooooh!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey you, lovin Pandora.com so far. Very fun. Kudos to Kelley.
Baby pic is faboo, always loved that one. You should place that one next to your big hair high school pic.
T

9:02 AM  
Blogger Dave said...

Baby Beth!! :)

11:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home