Sunday, July 02, 2006

'The Dreams of Sarah Breedlove' ...

One of my New Year's resolutions is to go to more theater. I love theater. I love the energy, the excitement of actors creating art right before my eyes.

A few weeks ago, Doreen e-mailed a link to me about this play at The Goodman Theater. The lead is the woman who plays Rose on "Lost," one of the best shows on television, if you're not watching it. Which is to say, if you're not watching it, you really need to check it out. In a world of "According to Jim"s, "Lost" is the Mensa of television shows.

But I digress. We had fantabulous seats. The theater is rather small, much like the Steppenwolf. An intimate space. Not thousands of seats in an acoustic cavern. But when you're on stage and your voice has to hit the back wall, I guess you're glad that the space is small. My theater in high school was round, which went a long way, I'm sure, toward carrying our voices to the back of the room. But if the guys running the sound board couldn't hear us, we had to up our volume. Oh, but I digress again.

The entire cast of the play is black, and much of the audience was, too. They understood the play in a way I never could, I'm sure, but my pasty white ass was blown away. L. Scott Caldwell, the lead, has a soliloquy in the last act that brought me to tears. It was gut-wrenching to watch. She is an exceptional actress. When she stepped out on stage during the curtain call, people - myself included - literally leapt to their feet for what turned into an extended standing ovation.

Definitely worth your time. It runs through July 23.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home