Sunday, June 18, 2006

World Cup Junkie ...

Huh.

Well, I didn't see that coming.

I just spent most of the day watching World Cup matches.

I didn't realized I cared.

Maybe it's from reading Ethan's site which has become all World Cup analysis all the time. Or maybe it's from watching my niece and nephew play soccer and experiencing a bit of withdrawl since Nick's season ended last week (his team came in second, losers of the championship match, a tough day for a very driven 11-year-old).

But I turned on the TV this morning to get a weather report and learned that the first of three World Cup games would be on at 8 a.m. Well, hell, who needs to read the Sunday paper when I can watch a field full of hunky Croatian guys running around? (I'm half Serbian. Serbs are supposed to hate Croats - don't ask me, history ain't my thing - but hey, most of Yugoslavia is gone now, so I think everyone should be over their grudges.)

So I tuned in. And I surprised even myself with how much I cared. After mom and dad left (after Father's Day breakfast), I looked at the clock and realized I could catch the last 15 minutes of Brazil and Australia. Happily, there was almost 30 minutes to go when I tuned in. And then I watched all of France and Korea. Rooting for Korea, of course.

I didn't care when the World Cup was in Chicago. It barely registered on my radar, except for the traffic nightmares it created. But I'm sucked in now. Though the official logo strikes me as a bit odd. And the lion mascot, well, he's kinda dull, isn't he? L.A. Dave wants him to wear some pants.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

If you see the past WC logos, you'll be all about this new one. That mascot is pretty lame, but thankfully they don't seem to be emphasizing it on Univision.

There is still time to prepare for the final match of stage one: Repeat "¡Mexico! ¡Mexico! ¡Sí, Se Puede! ¡Sí, Se Puede!" until you either buy a replica jersey, or pass out breathless into your chips and queso.

Seriously, Mexico/Portugal should be HUGE. They're both going on to the next stage, but it's all about seeding. And Mexico being pissed that they played to a draw most recently.

BTW - I cleaned up the front page at ethmar.com to strike a better balance between World Cup reviews and everything else. A non-WC article is coming up tomorrow.

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Andrés Cantor said...

World Cup = Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooring

8:08 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Hello .. was just wandering through the blogosphere and happened upon your blog. I too am hooked on the World Cup.

You have a great blog.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Aw, thanks, Jay. And yours is a hoot.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home