Monday, June 19, 2006

'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang' ...

My initial reaction to this film, as written to L.A. Dave, is too profane for a family-friendly blog.

But suffice it to say if you haven't seen this movie and your taste in cinema runs more toward the clever than the inane, you must stop what you are doing and rent this film. The writing is some of the best I've heard in a movie EVER. Yeah, OK, it's a wee bit ripe with the naughty words, but there are moments of G-rated brilliance, like this gem that didn't make the cut on the IMDb quote page:

Generic blonde at stereotypical Hollywood party, looking for anyone important: "What do you do?"

Harry Lockhart (Robert Downey Jr.), a petty thief from the East Coast who's up for his first film, quite by accident, and who doesn't play the Hollywood game: "I'm retired. I invented dice when I was a kid."

That this film didn't earn back even a third of its very meager budget is a damn shame. And I'm partly to blame. Despite much encouragement from people whose opinions I greatly respect, I didn't see it when it was in theaters. Now, having seen it, I don't know how much more motivation I thought I needed. So to all of you who haven't seen it (and since it fairly tanked at the box office, that's most of you), go. Go on. Git. I mean, where else are you gonna find a movie that stars a real-life recovered drug addict hanging off a corpse in a coffin over a freeway *and* Corbin Bernsen? Nowhere, that's where. Go rent it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did better than rent it. I bought it. I love this movie and hope to God it does well on dvd. I want a freaking sequel but yeah sure... I know it will never happen. thanx for getting the word out.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Rock on, Anon! It's on my list of flicks to add to my collection, too. These are the kinds of movies that should be getting made in Hollywood, not the weekly parade of dreck we see. Every so often, a good one slips in. Keeps me hopeful for the future of Hollywood, and keeps me hopeful that my screenplay will be snapped up, when I get it done, like chum in shark-infested waters.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home