Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Other Hot Topic ...

Some of this blog's readers will note (with glee, no doubt) that I've steered clear of politics of late.

It's not that I've formed a favorable view of the current administration. Hell no. But if I'm not willing to wear my politics on my lawn, why display them on my blog? My opinion surely doesn't influence anyone, and I'm not an investigative blogger. My political commentary would be reactionary, not ground-breaking.

So let's instead tackle the other conversational no-no: religion.

Oh, don't worry. It's not going where you think it is.

I just read a story about the "church" of Oprah. Oh my. Well, sure. If you're gonna sign up for a "religion," you might as well head for the pulpit where the pastor gives out great swag. (The "Oprah's Favorite Things" SNL skit in which the woman's head explodes is one of best moments in television history.) This year, her big holiday hoo-ha welcomed Hurricane Katrina volunteers. Right. Because the actual victims of Hurricane Katrina need food and clothes and homes, not a:

* Philip Stein Teslar Diamond Watch
* Burberry Coat
* Burberry Purse
* UGG Australia's Uptown Boot
* Garrett Popcorn Shops' CaramelCrisp and CheeseCorn Tin
* The new Apple iPod
* "The Oprah Sweater" by Ralph Lauren
* Pure Color Cords
* Lovely by Sarah Jessica Parker
* BlackBerry 7105T™ from T-Mobile
* Brownies from Moveable Feast Geneva
* Nike Free 5.0 iD
* Kashwere® Shawl Collar Robe
* Croissants from Williams-Sonoma
* Hope in a Jar from Philosophy
* "Grace" Basket from Philosophy
* Oatmeal Cookie Dough from Fox & Obel Market
* The Oprah Winfrey Show 20th Anniversary Collection DVD
* Sony VAIO FJ Notebook

Although you could probably sell your loot for a pretty penny. By the way, I didn't realize Ralph Lauren designed "The Oprah Sweater."

I watch Oprah from time to time. Sometimes, she has very valuable things to say. It's not that someone else hasn't said them before or couldn't say them just as eloquently, but she reaches 49 million viewers a day, so the messages are hard to miss.

Yes, she's done a lot of good. Her Angel Network is a lovely thing. But the story I read referred to her as a hip, materialistic Mother Theresa. What? Yeah, Mother Theresa, from what I know about her life, managed to get by without plunking down $50 million for a house in Montecito, California. And Mother Theresa didn't own half of Hawaii.

And next week, Oprah's flock will be allowed to drool on their televisions as they watch "Oprah's Legends Ball." Ah, geez. "Look at all the beautiful, rich people whose life you will never have!"

You'll forgive me if I read a book instead.

Oprah deserves a lot of credit for a lot of things, but do we really need to suggest that she's God? Jamie Foxx all but said that.

Now, I don't believe in God (ooh, now there's an invitation for some comments, since someone recently hit me with a John 3:16), but if I did, I wouldn't think God was Oprah.

If she was God, she wouldn't need to take a limo to work. She'd already be there. She'd already be everywhere.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.avclub.com/content/node/47683

4:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leviticus 12:1-8

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home