Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Continued Request ...

I fell asleep on the couch tonight. And after rousing myself off said couch and into the bathroom to brush my teeth, I crawled into my comfy bed and realized sleep was not part of my immediate future. So I slipped on shoes and went outside and took my garbage and recycling to the curb for morning pickup and then fired up the computer.

On a whim, I checked my Breast Cancer 3-Day page. Hey! My total jumped! Normally, I get e-mail alerts whenever someone makes a donation, but somehow, four people managed to sneek donations by me. Good thing I checked. I try to thank everyone via e-mail immediately and then follow up with a "real" thank-you note. So the e-mails have been sent, and the thank-you notes are written.

But before I try the sleep thing again, I thought I'd post a quick entry here. Traffic to my site is picking up steadily, so this is a continued request to my readers to consider a donation. You can click here to go to my 3-Day page.

While great strides are being made in the research, the statistics are still staggering:

* More than 200,000 women and approximately 1,500 men in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.

* More than 40,000 women and 400 men will die from the disease.

* One woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every three minutes, and one woman will die of breast cancer every 13 minutes in the United States. (In the time it takes you to read this post, someone will lose a mother, daughter, sister, or friend.)

But the good news is:

* The five-year relative survival rate for women with localized breast cancer (confined to the breast) is more than 95 percent.

* In the United States today, there are more than two million breast cancer survivors.

You can also help combat breast cancer by clicking here every day to fund mammograms for those who lack access to this vital screening tool. Or, if you'd like more information on the Susan G. Komen foundation, you can visit here.

(This is me and Catherine on last year's walk. We met up on the first day and spent the rest of the event together. There is nothing glamorous about walking, but the sunglasses help!)

If you're wondering why I do this every year, why I sign up to raise money and walk 60 miles in three days, the reason is simple: I walk because I can. Because I know women who have battled this disease and won. And I know women who have felt the fear of finding a lump in their breast. Happily, those cases have turned out to be benign. But so many aren't. I hope with all my heart that no one in my circle of friends and family will ever need the benefit of the research I am helping, in a very small way, to fund.

But every three minutes, another woman receives the diagnosis that will change her life.

I am connected to each of those women.

We all are.

I walk for all of them.

My love and thanks to all of you who have already made a contribution. To my other readers, I'm grateful for your consideration. I understand that we all have varying financial circumstances, but donations can be as small as $5. And they add up quickly. Last year, the national 3-Day effort raised $46 million.

Every 3-Day participant is walking toward the day when we will no longer need to walk. We are walking toward a cure.

Thank you for helping us find the way.

(And please feel free to forward this post to your friends and family. The wider the circle, the more we can accomplish.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home