Wednesday, April 19, 2006

'I Ain't Havin' No Baby' ...

When I was in high school, I had a role in "ER." Not the Michael Crichton-created hospital drama, but the goofy hospital spoof that starred Elliot Gould for a time on TV. I, proudly, was the Appalacian Mother.

And my character had two daughters, one of whom I brought to the hospital with a stomach ache, which, of course, turned out to be contractions.

The birth of Suri the TomKitten made me think of my on-stage daughter. Of course, Katie knew she was pregnant. Or at least, we think she was. Some of those pictures of her pregnant belly looked an awful lot like she had crammed a basketball under her shirt. I joked with my cousin Patty that the only thing coming out of Katie Holmes would be a Cabbage Patch doll. But Suri, a k a Princess or Red Rose, is here.

L.A. Dave called me within a minute of the birth being announced by AP. I honestly hate that I care about any of this. Patty Blackberried me from Paris last week to ask if the blessed event had occured. Apparently, it's not as big a story in France. Even though Tom, doing his own stunts yet again, proposed on top of the Eiffel Tower.

L.A. Dave also told me that Brooke Shields had her baby, too. Something tells me Grier and Suri will not hang out at the playground together.

So I was poking around online, reading stories as I do every morning, and was amused to see a headline about a much-anticipated birth in 1953. I saw this picture and thought, "Orson Welles?" Lucy and Desi weren't big people Can you imagine pushing this child out of your body? Was Lil' Desi (I didn't realize he was Desi IV until today) George Lucas' inspiration for Jabba the Hut?

Oh, I'm being mean.

So if you'll excuse me, I have to go wait obsessively for news of Baby-To-Be Brangelina.

2 Comments:

Blogger OneMan said...

Yes, but the truly brillant performance in that play was by Office Fogg, played by a young dashing football player who grew in his nerd ways.

FYI, that play did inspire the first ER tv series that besides Eliot Gould had a young George Clooney make some aperances

2:36 PM  
Blogger OneMan said...

I was the Ambulance Driver in ER with such well known lines in the English Language.

'He has some nitro with your name on it'

and

'Pizza'

I was Officer Fogg in 'Soft Soap'

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home