Monday, April 17, 2006

Homeowner Travail ...

Last night, it rained like a bitch.

At one point, I checked the regional radar online, and the storm system covered the entire state.

As I was getting ready for bed, I heard water trickling in my basement. I have two sump pumps. One in the crawl space under the addition, and one in the basement proper. The one in the crawl space - the one that's harder to get to - is the primary sump pump. I've had problems with it in the past.

Sure enough, when I shone a light into the crawl space, I could see the rod attached to the floater sticking high up. The floater ball gets stuck in the pit sometimes, which requires me to hoist myself up into the crawl space - icky, becaue there are cobwebs and God knows what else in there - and duck-walk over to the sump pit and resituate the floater thingy.

And then I kinda had to back out of the crawl space and ease myself back down.

And while doing that, you know what I noticed, although it took me a minute to realize what it was?

A skeleton.

A little skeleton.

Of what once was a mouse.

Now, I've known about the mice issue in the crawl space. I have several traps (which my father would take care of when I'd catch something - OK, yes, *kill* something). But after the initial freak-out last night, I started to wonder how exactly the former mouse got to such a state. I didn't smell anything rotting in the basement, though I don't venture near the crawl space often, and a mouse doesn't have a whole lot to it from a decomposition standpoint. Which made me further wonder if there is some mouse cannibalism going down in my crawl space.

The scientist side of me thinks the skeleton is really fascinating. It looks like ivory-colored plastic. And I never considered how complex a mouse's tail really is, but there are a lot of little bones.

The girl side of me thinks: Eww!

Dad!

4 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Ick. (Yeah, I looked.)

Though it does bring up the question - what goes best with mouse? Merlot or White Zinfandel? :)

10:33 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

White Zinfandel is an oxymoron at best and usually an abomination. Go with the merlot if you must, but a pinot grigo is probably the best match.

11:11 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Marc: Dave and I were just speaking this morning about the abomination that is white zin. Ugh. We were also discussing the "Sideways" distaste for merlot, hence his cheeky comment. Pinot grigio is an interesting choice, but I think a medium red might be the best choice with vermin.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

Believe it or not, the encyclopedia of gastronomy undoubtedly tells you the best way to prepare mics and perhaps even the ideal wine pairing. I do know that there is an entry for "rats".

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home