Monday, April 17, 2006

File Under: Warm And Fuzzy ...

This morning, I made the death march to the post office to file my taxes.

Ugh.

I walked into the post office and joined the line waiting for the windows to open. A mother and a little boy got in line behind me. Kyle must be about 3 and loves the buttons on the postage vending machine. He was in his mom's line of sight, so she let him wander that way and press to his little heart's content.

A man came up to use the machine. In his 50s, I'd say. Pleasant face, close cropped hair, bald on top, dressed in a nice shirt and pair of pants. A businessman of some sort.

He was having trouble using the machine. One of the post office women was talking him through it. He couldn't read the display's instructions for the glare on the glass. Kyle was telling him a thing or two, too. The man played along. Finally, the machine dispensed his stamps and change. The woman pointed out that his change included dollar coins. Don't we all hate dollar coins?

Kyle, the tyke, proceeded to go in after the goods. The woman laughed. "See? He's used the vending machine before."

Kyle handed the man the money and the stamps. "Get that piece of paper, too," the man said, indicating his receipt. Kyle did.

And when Kyle wandered back over to his mom, he was clutching a coin in his little hand.

His mom said, "What's that? A penny?"

No, it was a gold coin.

The man tipped Kyle a whole dollar.

"It's gold! That's like pirate money!" Kyle's mom said. And explained whose picture was on the coin.

So Kyle got a buck, a little history lesson, and shining example of kindness all at the same time.

A fine little moment of humanity that I would have missed if I didn't have to pay my taxes this morning.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You obviously didn't have to send a check in with your taxes.

11:39 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

No, I had to charge what I owed.

11:45 AM  
Blogger star firstbaseman said...

I think that's adorable. I love when people notice the great little stuff like that.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Using snail mail to do your taxes! How quaint!

Regarding dollar coins.....they're great!!! The best thing we could do to our physical money is emulate Canada and eliminate our paper dollar bills and replace them with one and two dollar coins.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Well, my returns are done by an accountant and way too involved for me to deal with filing electronically. So I had to mail in the actual paperwork. And since I owed, I waited until the last minute. And I love dollar coins, like in London, the one- and two-pound coins are brilliant, but we've never done a good job of getting them off the ground here. Silver dollars will throw your spine out of alignment if you carry them in your pocket, Susan B. Anthony's were always mistaken for quarters, and the current gold coins haven't been pushed by the guv. If the mint stopped printing singles, we'd be forced to use the coins. But the singles keep coming.

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home