Monday, April 17, 2006

Cilantro Haters Unite! ...

Many thanks to my pal Marc for pointing me toward ihatecilantro.com!

I am pleased as non-cilantro-flavored punch that there are so many others in the world who share my assertion that the herb tastes like soap.

Blech.

My mother shares my disgust, so there must be a biological/hereditary component to the ickiness. An assertion on the site (and elsewhere, according to some very brief preliminary research) suggests that I lack an enzyme, though that seems strange and nonsensical. Enzymes are used to break things down. I wonder what compounds in cilantro, when left whole, taste soapy. I will investigate further, and invite any readers with advanced cilantro knowledge to share information and links.

My disgust for cilantro goes so far that, in restaurants, I tell the servers that I'm allergic to cilantro and cannot eat anything prepared in a pan in which cilantro has been used.

Once, English Teacher Dave proudly made a cilantro pesto and I couldn't stomach more than a couple bites of the pasta before throwing ... in the towel.

(Oprah is on TV right now gushing over Oscar de la Renta in a way I've never seen before.)

In happy, non-cilantro news, I tried the turkey, basil pesto, and roasted red pepper Frescata sammich from Wendy's today. What a fine fast-food option.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

So the fast is 10 days and you gradually work back up to Wendy's over 10 days? ;)

9:24 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Hey, I didn't go for a triple bacon cheeseburger and Biggie fries, dude! I had a sandwich and a side salad with lite dressing.

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home