Friday, March 31, 2006

Wunderkind ...

Geez, what was I doing with my life when I was 11?

I was 11 when I started 7th grade. Junior high. My first locker. Homeroom. Going from class to class. I was in the "gifted program." Once a week, instead of going to Language Arts, me and a couple other kids met in an seldom-used classroom at the end of the hall and worked on logic problems. Of course, we still had to make up the work we missed in Language Arts, but I guess it was presumed that since we were "gifted," that wouldn't be an issue.

So maybe I was a bit smarter than the average bear in junior high. I remember tutoring some kids, but looking back, I didn't do anything special. I certainly could have done more.

I could have been like Kelsie.

Click on the title of this post to go to Kelsie's web site. Kelsie is currently in the process of raising money to buy new books for the libraries devastated by Katrina. I'm not telling you about her so you'll donate (though of course it would be nice of you if you did), but rather to call attention to a very special young lady who deserves to be recognized for what she's doing, namely, riding her horse halfway across Mississippi, raising these funds.

And here's the kicker: Kelsie is losing her sight. She needs large-print books but there aren't many large-print books in libraries for kids her age. So when the librarian explained why, that funding is tight, Kelsie decided to do something about it.

Hats off to Kelsie (who also donated her hair to Locks of Love), and to her parents, who have obviously done one hell of a job raising such a thoughtful, resourceful, responsible kid.

Friends have been kind enough to jumpstart the donations for my 3-Day effort. I'm gonna pay it forward and donate to Kelsie's cause.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home