Saturday, March 11, 2006

Pride And Joy ...

I am a humble person.

No, really.

I don't try to call attention to myself. My height takes care of that for me. It's pretty hard to be this tall and be inconspicuous.

But every once in a while, I have to seriously pat myself on the back.

Today is one of those days.

I'm having dinner with English Teacher Dave and his wife Gail and the principal of Dave's school, my school from long, long ago. But what to bring? I'm usually in charge of desserts, but based on their menu, I was stumped. I spent an hour surfing around food sites in search of inspiration and a recipe to go along with it.

I was thinking lemon thoughts. Something light-ish. It's a lovely spring day and dinner will be rich. Dessert should be a light finish. Ooh, but wait. Carrot cake? Nah, too heavy, and some people - the freaks - don't like carrot cake. And the frosting. Sheesh. It's not frosting. It's a heart-attack inducer. Besides, there will be four of us for dinner. Who needs all that leftover dessert?

Eventually, I struck on what I believe to be a brilliant idea:

Scones. Yes, scones, for dessert. Lemon cream scones. Very traditional. But topped with lemon curd. And whipped cream. And strawberries. And blueberries.

Essentially, strawberry shortcake, but made better by the addition of blueberries (pretty and tasty), but made even better by the addition of lemon curd.

So into the kitchen I went to zest and juice my lemons and make my curd.

It is ready in mere minutes, and as I tasted a bit, to check if it was cool enough to put in the fridge, you know what I decided?

1) I am a GODDESS.
2) I need more occasions in my life in which to consume lemon curd.

Why do I not make lemon curd more often? It's insanely simple and the result ... well, it's just one of cooking's greatest moments of alchemy. It's not the healthiest thing in the world (four egg yolks and a stick of butter, after all) but it's oh so lovely.

And Dave and Gail will have scones and lemon curd and whipped cream left over to enjoy with their morning coffee and papers.

I love being able to cook.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

>>>>
It's not the healthiest thing in the world (four egg yolks and a stick of butter, after all)
<<<<
A food in and of itself is not healthy or unhealthy. There are no junk foods, only junk diets.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I respectfully disagree, Marc. While it's true that everything can be had in moderation, high-fat foods, especailly those high in saturated fats, are in fact less healthy for us than many other options.

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home