Saturday, March 25, 2006

Living The Movie ...

Yesterday, Dave and I went to Starbucks. I ordered my usual: decaf grande sugar-free hazelnut soy latte. Dave had the same, though just a tall. Such self-control that man has.

We procured our coffee and wandered over to the couch we sat at the last time we were there. Must be our Starbucks spot. I set down my coffee and attempted to take off my coat. I winced. Actually, I think I winced and said "Jesus!"

Dave said, "What?", somewhat alarmed.

"Oh, I hurt my neck the other day," I said, settling in. Slowly.

I told him the tale. He said, "Well, that's a very good story. I mean, it would make a great scene in a movie or TV show."

I hadn't thought of that, but he was right. "It *would* fit in the screenplay," I said. Huh. I'm really am living my movie.

So here's the story (NOTE: This isn't actually in my script, I'm just writing it in script style for fun. Yes, I know some of the description wouldn't fit in an actual screenplay, but the dialogue is real.):

INT. BETH'S BATHROOM - DAY

Beth is in the shower. She grabs the upside-down bottle of shampoo from the edge of the tub, flips open the cap, and squeezes shampoo into her palm but the bottle sputters. It's almost empty. She decides she has enough shampoo to get by and proceeds to lather her hair, her back to the showerhead. A sharp pain sears through her right shoulder and neck.

BETH
Ow!

She attempts to shampoo her hair with her left hand. At the very least, she wants to get the shampoo out of her hair. She leans back into the shower spray but she begins to feel woozy. Her vision starts to blur. She presses her head against the side wall of the shower.

BETH, CONT.
Something is really wrong with me.

She comes to, lying in the tub, her head in the corner where the front and side shower walls meet. A plastic shower shelf is beneath her, which she clearly took out as she went down. It takes her a moment to realize that she fainted. She gets up, turns off the water, wraps her hair in a towel, and sits on the edge of the tub.


And scene.

So, it took me a while to realize that passing out was just my body's reaction to the pain. Whatever I pulled, it *really* hurt. But the weird, melodramatic part of the whole situation was in that moment when I started to lose consciousness, I wasn't altogether sure that I wasn't dying.

And I realized that I really am alone, that if I did die, my body would lie in the shower for days, possibly, with the water running. My mom and I talk frequently, but it's not uncommon for us to go several days without speaking. And she knew I was jammed with work this week. So even if she called, if I didn't call her back for a day or two, she wouldn't think anything of it. And then I freaked out at the thought of her finding me. I can't even fathom how it would destroy her.

And then I decided that maybe it was all one big wake-up call. I don't take care of myself as well as I should. I could eat better. I could exercise more.

So when I got home from Starbucks, I went for a walk. The air was crisp, the sky was clear, the stars were shining. I thought about telling JD about the fainting spell as he colored my hair. "Well, I bet that got a lot of attention on your blog," he said.

"Actually, I didn't write about it," I said. Until now.

But it does make a good scene for the movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home