Wednesday, March 08, 2006

'The Island' ...

Never try to second-guess Roger Ebert.

Just when I think I've found a movie that, surely, Rog will pan, I surf over to his site to discover that he gave it three stars.

Huh?

Maybe I was too focused on the writing. There were some truly bad lines in this movie, so corny, so predictable. (Ah, its Rotten Tomatoes score is 40. That's a little more like what I was thinking.) Scarlett and Ewan do a good job delivering their lines. Maybe I should have just let myself enjoy the sci-fi ride. Michael Bay makes movies in which lots of things go very fast and then blow up. What was I expecting? High art?

The premise of the movie is, I grant you, interesting. It cost $122 million to make, and earned just $35 million back. Ouch. But hey, all those 'splosions cost money.

I have to hand it to Scarlett: The girl's got range. From a Dutch servant in "The Girl with the Pearl Earring" to this role as a gun-toting, sci-fi badass, I believe her. I thought her early performance in "The Horse Whisperer" was pretty weak, but she was young. And who isn't going to look a little lame sharing the screen with Robert Redford? Unless you're Paul Newman, you're screwed before you even get started.

Early on in "The Island," I thought, "This is too ridiculous to continue watching," but I stuck it out, much like I rarely give up on a bad book, figuring it must get better at some point, that I'll be rewarded for my tenacity. So I keep going, until I realize the cause is lost, but by then I've invested so much time in the endeavor that I figure I might as well just see it through.

So I did.

Wesley Morris from the San Francisco Chronicle sums it up well: "This lavish, exhaustingly kinetic film is smarter than you might expect, and at the same time dumber than it could be."

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

>>>>>>>
And who isn't going to look a little lame sharing the screen with Robert Redford? Unless you're Paul Newman, you're screwed before you even get started.
<<<<<<<
Is this another gay cowboy reference?

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home