Friday, March 31, 2006

Coldplay ...

Friends and fans of Bruce and U2, forgive me, but I think I just saw the best show of my life.

It was too short, but it was spectacular. Chris Martin and the boys sound fantastic live. The lights and lasers and video screens were far too cool. The huge yellow balloons falling from the roof of the United Center (during "Yellow" - go figure) were filled with gold confetti that rained down on the crowd when the balloons popped after being batted about the arena like giant beachballs at a high-school graduation. The camera effects were outstanding. Chris and the boys posterized. Chris and the boys negative. Chris lying and singing on a dark stage lit only by a spot on a steady-cam.

At one point toward the end of the show, he ran down a side aisle and up into the crowd at the back of the UC. So sometimes the seats that far from the stage aren't such a bad thing after all.

But about it being too short: The boys took the stage about 9:20. They walked off at 10:20. They came out for one short encore, but the house lights were up by 10:40. Some would say that that's enough. They hit all their high points. Fans heard every song they wanted to hear. They even heard Chris do a little bit of "Ring of Fire," a la Mr. Johnny Cash. But I wanted more. Selfishly, maybe. Chris sang his ass off, he rocked his piano until I thought he'd fall off his stool, he was all over the stage. It was amazing. It was high energy. It was packed with hits. I should be happy with the quality and worry less about the quantity.

I guess I just didn't want it to end.

I just looked for tix for tomorrow night. I'd seriously go again. And I never do that.

Those of you who have tix for Friday night are gonna have the time of your life.

But skip the opening act. Really. Show up at 9.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Ethan said...

Sorry, can't resist...

"Do you know how I know you're gay? You like Coldplay."

(If anyone hasn't seen 40 Year-Old Virgin, go see it to get the context for that line.)

8:04 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

I believe that just applies to guys. : o )
And only certain guys. Cuz Dave was over the moon last night after the show, but he's a musician, so he appreciates concerts on a whole other level.

8:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home