Saturday, March 04, 2006

'Brokeback Mountain' ...

It's heartbreaking.

I haven't seen all of the Best Picture nominees, but I wanted to be sure to see this film before tomorrow, when it walks off with Oscar's top prize, which I now have no doubt it will, even having seen just three of the five.

Ang Lee is a damned magician to be able to turn out a film so exquisite on a $14 million budget. Heath Ledger, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Michelle Williams are terrific actors who are well-deserving of their nominations. And you can't miss when you have that kind of spectacular natural beauty in a supporting role.

But the most resonant aspect of the film has nothing to do with homosexuality. Sure, it's been dubbed the "gay cowboy" movie, but at its core, it's about the unbearable pain of unfulfilled love.

Is there anything more tortuous than having one's heart connect with another only to live on either side of a wall of circumstance? The occasional stolen moment or day a mournful stand-in for what should be a shared lifetime, if only. The tragedy of love denied.

I've thought long and hard about such a love's existence. In what I believe to be a benevolent universe, what reason can possibly explain such immeasureable sorrow?

And what I've decided, in my own life, is this: It's instructive, not tortuous. It is meant to inform my heart of what is possible. To say to my soul, "This is what it feels like. Settle for nothing less."

The same does not apply to Jack and Ennis. In that time and place, the world forbade their love.

It still does, to a large degree, and that breaks my heart, too.

2 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

But....but.....but....
it's a freakin'cowboy movie. That alone is enough to make it barely watchable.

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is why I continue to read your blog, your insightfulness into all things not political. The political stuff you write is a train wreck. So now you know.

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home