Thursday, March 23, 2006

'The 40-Year-Old Virgin' ...

So what do you do when you wrench your neck while washing your hair and you go to bed that night and the pain wakes you up at 2:30 in the morning?

You watch "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," of course. What else do you do at that hour?

I figured I'd fall asleep on the couch. Oh, I thought wrong. I was wide awake through the whole thing. Even watched all of the extras. Yup, wide awake. Hey, look, I thought at one point, it's light outside!

Swell. You know you're in for a bang-up day when you begin that day at 2:30 in the morning.

My cousin Patty, who saw the movie when most of the rest of the world did (when it was in the theaters) has been waiting for me to see it. "Finally, I'll be able to get some sleep," she replied yesterday when I sent her an IM that the movie had arrived from Netflix. Patty is a notorious insomniac, sorry to say.

So IMed her this morning to let her know that I saw it, at 2:30 in the morning, no less, so that her insomnia should now be not only lifted, but is apparently transferred to me. (But she was up in the middle of the night, too. We'll see if she sleeps well tonight.)

Anyway, the movie. As Patty promised, it's silly. I told her I wasn't expecting high art, and I wasn't disappointed on that front. But I did laugh out loud several times, which I don't often do when watching most comedies. It would seem that the movie studios' ideas of "comedy" and my idea of "comedy" don't quite jell.

Steve Carell was indeed funny. The chest-waxing scene was ridiculous but amusing in its extreme profanity. And oddly, I had watched a movie last evening starring Elizabeth Banks, who also shows up in "Virgin," this time as an oversexed bookstore worker named Beth.

Good for her. There aren't very many Beth characters. The only other one that springs to mind is the object of John Cusack's affection in "Better Off Dead" (a favorite film for its non-high-artistry).

Rog gave it three and a half stars out of four. On Netflix, I gave it four out of five.

I'd tell you to see it, but I believe everyone else already has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home