Monday, February 27, 2006

Wedded B.S. ...

So there I am, on the couch at the end of a busy day, munching on my Wendy's grilled chicken sammich and side salad with lite honey-mustard dressing on the side and a diet Coke (which is only palatable as a fountain drink; I don't know how people drink that stuff out of cans) when I see a promo for the Barbara Walters' pre-Oscar interviews, and in this particular promo she asks the always-fetching George Clooney, "So you just haven't met the right one yet?" or some variation on that question. I was too busy drooling to pay attention to Babs. (Honestly, is he just about the most attractive man on the face of the planet or what? He's the closest this generation will ever come to having its own Cary Grant.)

But the moment the question was out of her mouth, I got a little miffed. What the hell? I know Babs is there to ask the questions that are on people's minds, but can we just leave George and his bachelorhood alone? He was married once. He says he doesn't want to get married again. Why does everyone else want him to tie the knot?

He's not only handsome, he's not only filthy rich, he's also fabulously talented (CALM DOWN, people, I'm not talking about the politics of his films; he's just a really good filmmaker and actor), he gets behind causes he believes in and lends his celebrity to affect change (again, I'm not applauding his politics one way or the other, just that he doesn't exclusively lie about his villa on Lake Como and count his money), and from what I've read that others have said about him, he's a very loyal man to those who have earned it.

So he has plenty of women lining up to be his girlfriend, and if they know that George ain't about to settle down, why can't people just be OK with that? He's very open about his disinterest in marriage. He's not stringing these women along. If each of them is getting involved with him thinking that she'll be the one to change his mind, well, good for her, but when the relationship doesn't end with a trip down the aisle, she can't say she was duped.

Why is marriage supposed to be the state to which all singles should aspire?

Sure, I hope to get married some day, but it's not on my list of things to do before I die. I want to go to Australia, I want to publish a book, I want to record an album, I want to do a lot of things, but those are all things over which I have sole control. I can buy a ticket to Australia, I can sit my butt down and write a book, I can get in a studio and lay down tracks. But marriage takes two, and if I don't find another party who's willing, well then, single I'll stay.

One of the Davids and I were chatting on IM earlier today, and I mentioned my friend Marlea, who is stunning and has the sexiest voice and sings and has the best laugh ever. I am BAFFLED, I wrote to David, as to why she's still single.

David, the cute thing, replied, "I know someone like that."

Aww. I love my friends.

"It's too bad we're not lesbians," I wrote. "We'd make a FABULOUS couple."

But we're not gay. We're single.

At least that gives us some rights.

(Oh, like you thought you'd get through an entire post without me saying something to piss a few of you off? : o ) )

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

I like it from the can, can barely stand it from the fountain. go figure...

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Ethan said...

Ehhhh, drinking from the can. Ehhhhh.

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home