Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Yin And Yang ...

Ah, life. Ah, Einstein. For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The past few days, I have felt like absolute crap.

I don't get sick very often. I am very much like my mother that way. She is a big believer in mind over matter, and she refuses to get sick. Sure, it doesn't always work, but it works a lot better than giving in to the sniffles. So last week, despite feeling crummy, I acted as though nothing were wrong. It is a tactic that has worked in the past.

Last week, not so much.

I started to lose my voice Friday night. Leaving the restaurant after celebrating my mom's birthday, I was starting to get high-pitched and squeaky. Those of you who know my voice know it is anything but high-pitched and squeaky. Many have told me I have the perfect voice for phone sex.

By Saturday morning, I was down for the count, as I mentioned a couple blog entries ago. And I spent the weekend on the couch or in bed.

Alas, the work week arrived yestserday, and with it, actual work. Feeling somewhat better, I do what I always do in those situations: I operated as though I were better. Silly girl. About 3 p.m., I hit a brick wall, my body saying, "Uh, Beth? You're still sick. Lay down."

So I did. I read. I talked on the phone but my throat started protesting, so I stopped talking on the phone.

Crap.

I hate being sick. I like the sick lifestyle - loafing on the couch, eating comforting foods, snuggling under warm blankets and comforters - but I don't like that I have no real control over feeling crappy, that I will get better on my body's timetable, not my mind's.

So I woke up this morning and didn't slam the day into 5th gear. I started out gingerly, easing into the day, picking up momentum as the day wore on, testing the waters of well-being and wading in a little further.

And I had one of the best days I've had in a long time. I was hugely productive. I did really good work for work. I did things around the house. I talked on the phone without setting my throat on fire. I was still working at 8:30 tonight. Momentum indeed.

Of course, I think we can ascribe much of my enhanced state to the fact that I'll be seeing G tomorrow. During an IM conversation this afternoon, my friend Marc suggested that some of my posts should come with a warning and a reading on the glycemic index. But, he announced in his next thought bubble, they're really rather sweet.

Yes, they are. And yes, I know that I've just opened myself up to the snide Anonymous comment.

Whatever.

Bring it on.

Today is one of those days that no one can spoil.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Poor Beth.

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home