Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Spinster, I Presume? ...

Yesterday, I was at my mom's house for a few minutes.

I was wearing workout clothes and no makeup with my hair pulled back in an impromptu twist. I wasn't planning on seeing anyone; didn't care how I looked.

"I have a friend coming over," mom said.

Oh. OK.

I was on their computer when the friend arrived. Mom came in to the room. "I'd like you to meet Sandra," she said.

"I'm not really presentable," I said.

Not a good-enough answer.

So I walked into the kitchen and said, "Please forgive the way I look," as I shook her hand.

"Oh, you got the height," Sandra observed. Yes, yes I did. There are many tall people in my family, and I am one of them.

And within seconds, she said, "Hmm, I don't know anyone your height." It wasn't an observation. It was a presumption.

I smiled politely. "I'm with someone."

"Oh," she said. Then added, "I like that. 'I'm with someone.' "

Granted, there was a picture on the counter that my mom had shown her, and in it, my brothers are standing with their wives and I have my arms around my nephew Natanael. But that picture is four years old.

So what's with the instant judgment? 1) She presumed I was alone. 2) She instantly felt like she should be fixing me up. 3) She thought she should be fixing me up with a guy. And she'd known me for about 15 seconds.

5 Comments:

Anonymous virgin said...

I don't know. Based on this post alone, I'd have to say it sounds more like your mother's doing. As in your mother asked her if she knew anybody who might want you.

Being pimped out by your mama...

5:50 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

If my mom didn't already know of the existence of G, I'd be inclined to agree with you. But instead, I think it was just Sandra's natural inclination to try and fix me up.

6:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe your momma doesn't like G! Have you thought of that possibility?

7:39 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Nope, that's not a possibility.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

she sounds like an unhappy girl.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home