Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanksgiving ...

In the past, I haven't much liked holidays. I was one of those people who bought into the Hollywood version of holidays, the 30-second-spot perfection of snow falling, fireplaces roaring, candlelight glinting off shiny holiday surfaces, everyone laughing and smiling, a house full of good cheer.

And then, the holiday would arrive and I'd be beset with the real-lifeness of it all, my holiday ideal dashed to pieces like a piece of treasured china dropped on a kitchen floor.

But this year (Maybe because I've grown up? It was bound to happen sometime, right?), despite some family strife (which I've finally accepted), holidays have been lovely.

Granted, we're just moving into the holiday heavy-hitters. One could argue that it's hard to have a shitty Memorial Day. But even Memorial Day was lovely, sitting in English Teacher Dave's backyard on a sunny, cool afternoon, noshing on good grub, chatting with interesting people. And my birthday, as I've reported previously, was about as perfect as they get.

So here it is, Thanksgiving. Mom just called to ask if I needed anything from the store (she's a brave woman, going to a grocery store on Thanksgiving morning) and mentioned that my sister-in-law (who's making the main components of dinner) discovered that the very large turkey in her very large roaster won't fit into her oven. A typical holiday moment. But mom has a commercial stove with two commercial-sized ovens, so the turkey will roast at mom's today. Problem solved.

I'm in charge of bread, which I will commence baking shortly (because you can't have too many carbs on Thanksgiving). And later, I'll go to my brother and sister-in-law's house, and there will be a fire in the fireplace and tables set in the dining room, kitchen, and foyer, and before dinner, we'll all gather in the dining room and say what we're thankful for, and this year, I have many, many things from which to choose.

I hope you do, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home