Sunday, November 06, 2005

Oh, Yeah, I'm Screwed ...

[I wrote this Friday, but have been having problems with posting, so
I'm filing via e-mail (filing - heh, that's newspaperspeak)]:

Figuratively, of course.

And apparently, that's the way it's going to stay for the rest of my
life.

I read Maureen Dowd's New York Times Magazine piece, "What's A Modern
Girl To Do?", this afternoon.

When I read the following, I laughed out loud and said, to my computer
screen, "Oh, I'm screwed!" Behold:

"A 2005 report by researchers at four British universities indicated
that a high I.Q. hampers a woman's chance to marry, while it is a plus
for men. The prospect for marriage increased by 35 percent for guys for
each 16-point increase in I.Q.; for women, there is a 40 percent drop
for each 16-point rise."

The average I.Q. is 100, so by the time you get to 116, according to
the Brits - whack! - your odds just dropped 40 percent. Move up to 132
- whack! - your odds have just plummeted another 40 percent. So for
anyone with an I.Q. anywhere above that? Well, as I said to Jay earlier
on the phone, the advice is: "Find a good vibrator."

Jay insists that he's looking for a woman with a brain. That's nice to
hear, though as I told him, "You, apparently, are the exception."

Dowd wants to know: "So was the feminist movement some sort of cruel
hoax? Do women get less desirable as they get more successful?"

Well, was it? Do they?

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Hey, I'm looking for a woman with two brains. Not to be be confused with a man with two brains, who is, of course, Steve Martin. But, seriously folks, the brain truly is the sexist organ in the body. So women with high IQs, unite!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

I'm looking for a woman with a big brain also (just not as big as mine).

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home