Tuesday, November 01, 2005

November ...

It rained last night. And rained. And rained. And rained.

Happily, though, kids came to my door. The promise of free candy is clearly too strong to be overcome by a little precipitation. Or a lot of precipitation. Still, I felt bad for them. Halloween is such a big deal when you're a kid, it shouldn't be dampened - literally - by having to don a raincoat over your costume and having to walk under an umbrella with your mom.

I was on the phone with L.A. Dave for a good portion of trick-or-treat and he commented on how polite the kids are. Almost all of them said "thank you." Some of the little kids looked a little stunned (maybe they've never seen anyone as tall as me before). Some of the kids opened their bags wide to check out what they'd just received.

The full-size candy bars were clearly a hit. And I know that because 1) even my sister-in-law said, "You're giving out big candy bars?!" and 2) because I had repeat trick-or-treaters. One boy looked kinda sheepish the second time at my door, and I smiled at him. I knew. He knew I knew. But I used to do the same thing when I was a kid. When you identified a house giving away good loot, you went back. You let some time elapse, thinking you were being clever and that the giver wouldn't notice that you'd been there before, but who were we kidding? Even then, I was tall. How many 5' 10" nuns were coming by that night?

The kiddles loved their iTunes gift certificates and Jelly Bellys. Nick, the middle child, immediately announced that he wanted to get "American Idiot" by Green Day. His mom, of course, immediately said "No." I remember that, too. Wanting so badly to be able to do the things my brothers were allowed to do. Nevermind that they're nearly six and eight years older than me.

And now it's November. My birthday is soon. It seems impossible that an entire year has gone by again. I thought I'd be in a much different place at 36. It's weird to look at that number. How am I almost 36? I don't feel 36. I don't feel like any age. I feel like I feel when a holiday falls on a Monday. It never feels like a Monday, but it never feels like the weekend, either. It's like it's outside of time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home