Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Music And Memory ...

I am fascinated by the link between memory and music. If you asked me to simply recite the lyrics to a certain song from 10 years ago, I probably wouldn't be able to do it, but if I hear that song on the radio, I can sing the whole thing.

What it is about the music that unlocks my memory?

Enigmatic David mentioned Robbie Robertson tonight in an IM. I was just thinking about Robbie Robertson the other day. I had his eponymous album - on cassette - which was released in 1987. I loaned it to a friend as part of a collection of tapes for a party she was having, and I don't have to tell you that I never got them back.

On a lark, I went to iTunes and punched up Robbie. And there he was. And there it was. My album. Nearly 20 years later. All mine, about two minutes later, for $8.91.

Peter Gabriel is on "Fallen Angel." U2 is on "Sweet Fire of Love." I love Robbie's "Broken Arrow," much better than Rod Stewart's cover.

I could have just bought a couple of the songs: That's the beauty of iTunes; no need to ever buy an entire album again. But I'm glad to have it all back in my posession. I've missed him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home