Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Fun Auf Deutsch!, Part Zwei ...

I can't remember if my high school required everyone to take a language, or whether I took one because all my friends were taking one. But all my friends were taking Spanish. Well, a few were taking French.

I took German. Two years of German.

And then in college, I took two more.

Today, I can say, "Der Fernsehapparat ist wieder kaput." The television set is broken again.

I can also say, "Guten Tag! Wie geht's?" And I remember the word for "peas."

I like to think that if I was set down in the middle of Germany and no one spoke a word of English, I'd be able to get around. I sat in German classes for four years. Something must have sunk in, right?

So I've been chatting online with this German guy. We share a mutual fondness for Haribo gummi bears, as good a foundation as any. And during a recent IM exchange, I asked him what kinds of movies he likes.

Gratefully, his reply was something along the lines of "Comedies, mostly. Or something intelligent. No action movies please."

Leave it to a European guy to be a skosh more cerebral. (To wit: A couple years ago, I went on a date with a London-dwelling Italian guy. He suggested "Whale Rider." College Boyfriend David once picked "Surf Ninjas." Though in fairness to David, he's a very smart man and also likes movies for grown-ups.)

Anyway, the point is, the German guy recently recommended "Good Bye, Lenin!", set in Germany after the fall of the Berlin Wall, presented in German with English subtitles.

I watched it today and I liked it a lot but I was most pleased that I was able to pick out bits of native conversation, so apparently, my German doesn't suck quite as much as previously thought.

It's a charming movie. I second the recommendation. And while you're in the German section of the video store, pick up "Mostly Martha."

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great Movie

5:46 AM  
Blogger OneMan said...

Frau Hobson would be so proud. When we were in Germany a few years back my 'swie years um gynasium' of German were fairly helpful.

Also in general if you tried in German they would take pitty on you and switch to English.

9:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home