Friday, September 23, 2005

U2 ...

Wow, the show.

Bono. The Edge. Adam. Larry. Amazing.

The most amazing seats. Though once the show started, we didn't sit.

The guy who sat down in front of me looked really familiar. I mustered up the courage to put my hand on his back so he'd turn toward me so I could ask, "Are you Richard Marx?" He nodded. "I'm a big fan," I said (and I am -- I think he's a really good songwriter). He extended his hand. "Thanks," he said. Nice guy. Very well-behaved kids with him.

Cell phones have replaced lighters at concerts. At one point during the show, Bono asked us to get them out and the United Center looked like a dark sky full of cell-phone stars.

I was struck by the number of them, and by extension, how much we all have. I had paid $165 for the seat I was standing in front of inside a building that cost I don't know how many millions to construct, listening to a man who is paid millions of dollars every year to do what he loves, but who, thankfully, understands that with his fame comes responsibility, and uses his notoriety to help the billions of people in the world who are so much less fortunate than the 20,000 who were there that night.

Yesterday, Doreen asked me how the show compared to Bruce, and I started to say, really, it was better. She put up her hand to stop me. "Okay," I said, "then equal, but different." I love Bruce to pieces, and I admire his social conscience, too, but maybe U2, being Irish, understand strife differently. There's something anguished about Bono during certain songs. And when he sings, about his dad, "You're the reason why the opera's in me," I almost cry.

4 Comments:

Blogger rikku said...

i hope you don't mind strangers writing a comment for you.
anyway, i like the way you write.
and goodluck with your dreams^^.

7:53 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Rikku:
Everyone is welcome to post comments here. Thanks for the compliment and the well-wishes.
The same to you,
Beth

8:00 AM  
Anonymous Norberto said...

Beth, it's Q, grooch's husband. Her new employee has served RM, Chicago's very own bad boy, lattes at Starbucks. I bet if you heard the stories of his behavior towards the help, you might think different of RM.
Norberto
"used to listen to RM"
Quintanar

6:07 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Q:
Well, I'm sorry to hear that.
Still, I can only base my opinion of him on what I experienced, and he was a nice guy, and his kids were impeccably behaved.
I've been known to get surly with a barista or two at Starbucks, like when I've been waiting 10 minutes for a cup of coffee.
Maybe he had a bad day.
Or maybe he can be a jerk.
But in my little Richard Marx bubble, he's nice.
Still, lovely of you to comment. Comment more often!
Beth

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home