Monday, September 26, 2005

Monogamy? Monotony? ...

In a terribly interesting and frank discussion with a boy today, he suggested that the problem of infidelity lies (no pun intended) with men much more so than with women, that men are more conquest-minded and when their married lives get boring, they search for the spark elsewhere.

I was stunned by his honesty and culpability on behalf of his sex. Aren't men supposed to be shirkers?

But in fairness, I said that infidelity certainly isn't solely the province of men. I know married women who have had affairs.

Still, I wondered, to him and here, if women are more monogamous by nature, if a decent man is so hard-won that we're less inclined to look elsewhere.

Of course, I'm single. I have no idea which -- if any -- of these theories hold any water.

Weigh in, my readers. Elucidate me. Is infidelity as widespread as it seems? Why? Divorce is always an option, no? Or is it too much work? Too financially draining?

I'm all ears.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

Aren't men supposed to be shirkers?
Males may be shirkers, but men have enough control to keep it in their pants.

Besides, last I checked, it took two to have an affair.

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Jay said...

I think men are hard wired to do the nature thing, and propogate the species. Woman are more inclined to find a good mate to have children and protect them. I think society has tried to corral some of that with marriage. Although if two people love each other enough, they will find ways to communicate and find that spark again. Lack of communication is the biggest problem with affairs.

10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home