Friday, September 02, 2005

'Crushed By The Sadness Of It All' ...

That's the way Dave ended an e-mail to me today.

Dave, the most mild-mannered man on the planet, who only sees the good in people, who is incapable of being unkind, wrote a rant about how our government has completely botched the Katrina crisis.

"I'm certainly not a good political ranter," he wrote, "but I'm crushed by the sadness of it all."

He's an excellent political ranter, by the way, and we're all crushed by the sadness of it all.

Some blogs are nothing but political rants. I reserve my political posts for the most part, making them the exception, not the rule.

But this entire catastrophe has illustrated some of the worst of our government's inability to lead.

I wrote back to Dave:

"I know you're crushed by the sadness of it all. We all are. I just can't fathom that it's even happening. I was watching footage on the news the other night of those homes with flood waters up to the roofs, and I looked at the ceiling of the room I was in and tried to imagine water that high outside my window (and inside my house, for that matter). My brain just shuts down.

And it is unforgivable and inexcusable that this crisis hasn't been handled. I was going to say 'hasn't been handled better,' but it just hasn't been handled, period. It's pathetic.

L.A. Dave wants W to resign.

And then, and then, I almost spit nails at my computer this morning reading that Condi didn't return from her New York vacation until Thursday night. She's one of the highest-ranking officials in the government (and don't even get me started on that), eighty percent of New Orleans is under water, Biloxi, Miss., no longer exists, and she's going to see Spamalot?!

So, no, you're not missing the full story. The full story doesn't exist.

Everyone knew this was going to happen some day, the flooding of a city that sits below sea level. Did *anyone* ever think to develop a contingency plan in the event that the levees gave way? Apparently not.

But hey, gas is $3.19 a gallon, and George and Dick and Daddy George are all in the oil business. So life is good. For them.

The rest of us, well, we don't matter.

I really, really want to go up to one of the 59 million people who voted for this moron in the last election and ask them what they think of their leader now.

Ooh, I just hate him. And I try not to hate anybody. But he's earned our ire."

There is a bright spot, however: The reason I first wrote to Dave today was to tell him how proud I am of him that his band, The New Invaders (link to the right), is part of a hurricane relief concert on September 23 in Woodstock, Ill. Go to the calendar on the site for more information. All proceeds will be donated to the American Red Cross. He's thrilled that he and the boys were asked to participate.

His band will be performing with American English, the best Beatles' cover band ever, and others. It promises to be a great show. One more way you can lend a hand to the recovery effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home