Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Comfort ...

Brian is brilliant, one of the smartest people I know.

We met in college. He lived in a room down the hall. Adam's roommate, as a matter of fact. Adam and Brian and John shared the biggest room in the dorms.

Brian majored in architecture and philosophy. Like I said, he's brilliant.

He recently quit his well-paying corporate gig, relying on his real-estate investments to fund the next phase of his life.

Thing is, he's not sure what that phase will be.

He's been reading "What Should I Do With My Life?" by Po Bronson. (Yes, Po.)

The other day, I queried my library online, thinking, "They won't have it. They never have what I want."

But there it was.

So I slipped my library card into my back pocket, grabbed the key to the house and my phone, and walked to the library to check it out.

I've been reading it, the past few days. It's good. Po, a writer before this book, has interviewed people from all walks of life, all of whom have answered or are answering the title question.

I wrote to Brian, to let him know that I'd started reading the book. We can have a bookclub of two and discuss it. He e-mailed back to let me know he had it with him in Europe. He's in Venice right now, the midway point of a many-city tour with his partner, Steven.

I've never been to Venice, always wanted to go. Someday I will. It seems like a fine place to reflect on your life, all that water, all that architecture and time gone by, all those lives lived.

Some might say, "But Beth, you're a writer. You know that. We all know that. What's to figure out?" I'm a writer, true. But that's not all I am. And even if it were all I am, what to write about? I'm not yet one of those bloggers to land a book deal from her daily musings. And the screenplay? Well, it might be done someday.

In the meantime, I'm reading.

It's comforting to read the stories of people who would understand me if they were here. As Anthony Hopkins as C.S. Lewis says in "Shadowlands," "We read to know we are not alone."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home