Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Blog Thoughts ...

I've been at this blogging thing for about six months now.

I like it. It makes me write. I have friends who check in every day and I don't want to disappoint them; there should be something new for them to read.

But being a citizen of the blog universe has made me aware of a whole new set of pet peeves, blogging pet peeves.

1. A lack of updates
If you decide to create a blog, update it. If you've decided that blogs are a) stupid or b) boring or c) not the creative outlet you were looking for, delete your blog. Don't make me waste my time checking to see if you've bothered to step up and post something.

2. A refusal to spell
I'm not talking about bad spellers. I'm talking about people who won't type entire words, and instead use cutesy shorthand. Blogs aren't instant messages or text messages. Brevity is not the point. For the love of God, is it so much harder to type "and" instead of "n"?

3. Cats
From time to time, I click the "Next Blog" button to see what I can find, and I can't tell you how many sites are devoted to pictures of cats. What the hell is up with that? Are the lives of these people so utterly devoid of any other meaning that all they can post about are their cats? If your cat could speak, you know what it would say about your cat blog? "Jesus, I sleep most of the day and crap in a dishpan and my life is more interesting than what passes for a blog in your world." You know who cares about your cat? You. Spare the rest of us. If we cared about cats, we'd own one and create our own cat blog, and servers everywhere would be overrun with images of cats and there would be no bandwidth left for anything important, like all that fake Rolex watch spam I get every day.

I'm sure there are more. They'll come to me.

12 Comments:

Blogger OneMan said...

Considering how often the next-blog for my page leads to nudity. I'd be happy with cats.

OneMan

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for talking about the blog universe Beth and not the blog*sphere.

Chris
http://www.bloguniverse.com

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, be happy that you're not on the penis enlargement mailing list. Funny, I'm not a dude and don't remember ever ordering those products...

9:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, be happy that you're not on the penis enlargement mailing list. Funny, I'm not a dude and don't remember ever ordering those products...

9:03 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...

And let me comment. If you've put your opinion out there for me to see, let me at least comment on it.

9:12 AM  
Blogger Beth said...

Comment away, Jeff. Who's stopping you?nwh

9:33 AM  
Anonymous Ellen said...

Beth, I hope my blog isn't falling into the not-frequently-updated camp! Meanwhile, you can see a picture of my late cat at...
Just kidding.
Ellen

8:46 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Nah, Ellen, you're cool. I'd love it if you posted more often, but I have friends who -- no lie -- haven't posted for six months. What is up with that?

7:30 AM  
Blogger Jeff Hunter said...


Comment away, Jeff. Who's stopping you?

Nah, not you. There are other people out there that spout off about this and that but don't enable comments. For example Island Girl.

7:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I suppose there are those who would argue that cats are a more valid topic than insipid navel contemplation, the topic of most blogs.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah, yes, because great change has been effected in the world by people contemplating the meaning of cats. : o )

2:59 PM  
Blogger Robert Vollman said...

Cats are very lovable!

And for cat-lovers, looking at pictures of cats can be the best stress relief second only to actually cuddling one.

Just for that, I'm going to post some pictures of my cats on my blog this week-end. :P

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home