Sunday, July 10, 2005

Wherefore Art Thou, Ice Cream Truck?

I was just out running errands, and found myself behind an ice cream truck. But it wasn't playing the usual ice cream truck music ("Pop Goes the Weasel" seems to be what I remember most, or maybe "The Entertainer"). It felt familiar, the tune, but I couldn't quite place it. A theme. From something.

I started humming it, so I wouldn't forget it, but then thought, "How will I look it up online when I get home?"

Luckily, I had my phone with me, so I called L.A. Dave, Knower of All Things Movie, and "sang" it for him: "Da da da da, da da, da da da da, da da da da, da da da da da ..."

"It's the theme from 'Romeo and Juliet,' the 1968 Franco Zeffirelli version starring John McEnery as Mercutio."

I knew he'd know.

But how weird is that, for an ice cream truck tune?

"Was it more upbeat?" he asked.

"Nope, it was just like I did it, melancholy. Almost dirge-like."

To paraphrase Tennyson: Ah, when in the summertime a young man's fancy lightly turns to thoughts of suicide.

Who wouldn't want an ice cream from *that* truck?!

1 Comments:

Blogger ryan said...

Thanks for twittering the link to this. Reading it put a smile on my face!

--ryan

12:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home