Wednesday, July 27, 2005

On Ideas and Junk Food ...

Every so often, I open up my file slugged "Memoir Ideas" when I need a writing prompt.

Today I decided that I would choose something at random, so I put my cursor on the scroll bar, closed my eyes, slid my mouse up and down a few times (to be more random), then moved my mouse to the left and clicked and dragged to highlight some text. Whatever was highlighted would be what I would write about.

I opened my eyes and saw my cursor between two entries. Funny. Odd.

I tried again. Slide, slide, slide, slide, highlight.

Once again, my cursor was between two entries. What the heck?

I tried a third time. Slide, slide, slide, slide, highlight.

"Mint Meltaways." The entry is about my mom's sister, Marlene, bringing me a box of Fannie May Mint Meltaways years ago when I was sick. (Who brings sick people candy?) The point of the entry is that I ate the whole box of candy and then felt really bad about it.

I've never had any willpower. I purposely don't keep junk food in the house. Chips, ice cream, cookies, any of that stuff. If it's here, I'll eat it. If it's not here, I'll sometimes go to the store and buy it, but apathy usually wins out in those situations, because I usually want to nosh on crap around 10 p.m., and that would require changing into presentable clothes, getting in the car, driving to the store ... Do I really want Cheetos that bad? Nah.

It's a good system.

If I do find myself with junk food in the house, after I've had some, I purposely throw the balance of it in the garbage, because, unlike George Costanza and the eclair, I won't take anything out of the trash.

I might not have willpower, but I have boundaries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home