Monday, July 25, 2005

J.K. Rowling's Most Amazing Spell ...

... must be her ability to get children and grown-ups alike to plow through a 652-page book in two days.

I bought my copy of "Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince" on Saturday (I thought I'd let the frenzy die down for a week), read the first couple pages Saturday night before promptly falling asleep (not because of the book, but because I can only manage a couple of pages of anything at bedtime before promptly falling asleep), so I started over on Sunday. It was going to be hot as hell, and reading seemed like a fine way to while away a 100+-degree day.

Got to the halfway point Sunday, finished up today. Monday.

I have a book from the library that's been checked out since July 6. I'm on page, oh, 40, maybe?

But put 652 pages of Rowling in my hands and I'll turn the last page 33 hours later.

As someone who thinks she fairly sucks at writing fiction, I marvel at this woman's talent. How can she ever have been a mom, struggling to make ends meet, writing longhand on notepads, nursing single cups of coffee? Her life's story is its own novel.

2 Comments:

Blogger vincentt said...

Follow your Bliss...

2:31 PM  
Blogger Marc said...

Alas, I found about 45 seconds to "read" the one and only Hairy Pothead book I ever picked up more than adequate.I just do not get the fascination with Harley Porter nor with Rowling's pedestrian, mundane storytelling. Of course I'll admit to finding reading or watching fairy tales rather boring.

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home