Sunday, July 10, 2005

Explain Something To Me ...

I don't mean to sound like a bitch here, but I may, so consider yourself warned.

Can someone explain to me why our government continues to grant federal aid to those residents of coastal towns whose homes and businesses are repeatedly battered by hurricanes?

The news is rife with stories of families who are finally rebuilding after Hurricane Ivan, and now they're once again bracing (or have braced) for Hurricane Dennis. Is it bitchy of me to yell at my TV, "MOVE!"

I'm all for aid for families who are caught unaware by some freak natural disaster. But for people who live in hurricane-prone regions?

I'm not suggesting that we let these areas become desolate wastelands, but if people want to live in areas that see high hurricane activity, should they receive federal dollars year in and year out? It's their prerogative to live there. Is it my responsibility to help them rebuild? We're not assigned to states and towns. They can move to a part of the country where their house is less likely to be destroyed by 120-mile-per-hour winds. Or they can stay put. It's their choice. But how many times do we literally bail them out?

2 Comments:

Blogger Marc said...

Remember that the federal assistance, particularly in disaster-prone areas, is in the form of a loan, much like an SBA loan, with interest. It's designed to enable people to quickly recover while their insurance claim is processed. Very rarely is it an outright grant.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

Ah, you're a smart, smart man, Marc. I hadn't realized, actually. Good to know.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home