Thursday, June 23, 2005

Speaking of 'Batman' ...

I have, on this computer, a file called "Memoir ideas." I created it a couple years ago after reading Sting's "Broken Music." He's of the belief that everyone should write their autobiography as a means to get in touch with themselves. I liked the idea -- still do -- so I started jotting down ideas.

Somewhere in the list, I decided I was lacking in childhood moments, so I began to focus on when I was a kid, and one of the things I remembered was this:

We kept a black and white portable TV on a chair in the corner of the kitchen's dining area. We used to like lying under the table to watch TV (I *just* remembered that detail). "Batman" used to be on in the afternoons when I was a kid. (I was probably six, for the purpose of this memory.) Paul seemed to be under the table a lot. But when "Batman" would come on, I would go get a red towel and a safety pin, put the towel over my shoulders so the length hung down my back, pin it around my neck, and as the "Batman" theme emanated from the TV, the "duh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh nuh, Batman!" I would spin around the kitchen to make the towel cape fly behind me.

I'm almost pleasantly dizzy, just thinking about it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous DAR said...

A *warm* smile and heavy sigh for the days of childhood. Today is my brother's 40th b-day, a minor miracle he survived his own childhood. We used to fight over what to watch after school ... (we are both older than you) and If I had already viewed an episode of Batman - he had seen it at least 3x .... Thanks for the smile!

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home